Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,949   Posts: 1,585,943   Online: 987

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oscura - calculating the new exposure times is simple once you have the multipliers for the f stop adjustments you want to make. If your base exposure is 16s and you want to reduce the exposure time by 1/2 stop multiply 16 by .71 = 11.36. To increase the time by the same amount use 1.41 as the multiplier (1.41 X 16 = 22.56). These are other multipliers I regularly use: -1/4 - .84, +1/4 - 1.19, -1/8 - .92 and +1/8 - 1.09. Deep pockets buys you an f stop timer that does this with the push of a button but, frankly, I kind of enjoy the process of calculating my own adjusted times.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Good morning rick johns !

Thank you very much for your explication.

So if i understand well, my standard time is 20 s, if i want to push +1/4 stop the time will be 25 s.

Thank you very much because i didn't know before this notion and i hope i will have time to make this experiencem it seems to be very interesting !

All the best

++

Oscura••

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oscura:

Ralph Lambrecht is just too modest .

Go to his website:

darkroomagic (warning, some nudity) and then click on the link labelled "Library".

In that Library, there is a whole bunch of useful stuff, including an extremely useful f/stop timing table in pdf format.

Download that, and it will help you calculate all your necessary changes.

It's in Ralph's book as well (Way beyond Monochrome) which I would recommend highly. I've got a copy of the 1st edition, and hope to get a copy of the second edition when it comes out.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    oscura - 20.0s X 1.19 = 23.8s representing a 1/4 stop increase in exposure. As Matt suggested, print Ralph's f stop timing table. That will eliminate dealing with my multipliers and make life a lot easier.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    IF YOU NEED 5 TO GET A GOOD PRINT, the neg is too low a contrast. Increase development time 20%.

Try a nice pic first that has full tones from black to white first. If that looks good on 2, do not change anything.

If you had a low contrast neg or subject, it is normal that higher contrast paper is required.
    I think it's more common that a faulty darkroom environment (lighting) is to blame for the NEED for #5 to get a reasonable print rather than negs themselves.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin