Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,619   Online: 1066

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

I have just done my first print!

Well its finally happened after months of getting equipment and reading I have done my first print, well my first few came out black but then I worked that out.

One question I set my enlarger so it was grade 2, printed it, and it all looked fine, then I wanted to see what grade 5 would look like so did that and there was so much life in the image, now is this a personal taste do you think, what grade is normal I guess it's all dependant on the image and your vision, but I love the separation of tone on grade 5 but maybe I am too new to this and its a bit cliche.

Your own experiences and thoughts would be nice on this?

Paul

Shooter
    35mm
    I think when you first start you are drawn to the more extreme grades as they have a 'wow' factor. If that works for you, keep going. Your taste may change in time, or may not. Doesn't matter - you're not doing this to please other people (unless you're a commercial photographer).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thank you I did think that is what was happening I will not worry to much then I will just keep going until I naturally find my style

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congrats!!! Welcome to our world. After nearly fifty years of printing, I still feel the magic when I watch an image come up on a print. Keep after it, and dont worry what other people think of your work. Never hesitate to show your work off, and never make excuses for what you've done. If someone sees your work and gives you a bunch of negative feedback, then you have done something good IMO (nothing makes me happier than poking a stick in someones emotions).Life only gets better now that you have new skills.

Rick

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Recently in a workshop, the guy who was teaching asked us to do a little exercice.

Take a photo, find the set-up you like (e.g. grade 2, 16s). Then you print it with the same picture with the same time minus a grade (#2, 16 s) and plus a grade (#3, 16 s). You do the same minus half a stop (#1, #2, #3, 11.3 s) and plus half a stop (#1, #2, #3, 22.6 s). You end up with 9 photos. After drying put them by order (3x3, the first one in the middle) and immediatly you understand the possibilities of modifying the set-up.

I have hanged my 9 photos in my lab, and I still discover new things on them. That does not take longue to do it.

I hope my English was clear enough

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shaggy, make sure your safelight is truly safe. It's common to want to pump the contrast when one's paper is effectively being flashed for them by an unsafe safelight. If it passes the safelight test, then consider the negative. Usually g5 is pretty hard and reserved for specific uses or flat negatives.

Good job on your first printing.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Romary View Post
    Recently in a workshop, the guy who was teaching asked us to do a little exercice.

Take a photo, find the set-up you like (e.g. grade 2, 16s). Then you print it with the same picture with the same time minus a grade (#2, 16 s) and plus a grade (#3, 16 s). You do the same minus half a stop (#1, #2, #3, 11.3 s) and plus half a stop (#1, #2, #3, 22.6 s). You end up with 9 photos. After drying put them by order (3x3, the first one in the middle) and immediatly you understand the possibilities of modifying the set-up.

I have hanged my 9 photos in my lab, and I still discover new things on them. That does not take longue to do it.

I hope my English was clear enough

Yes, that's called a run-around, and it is a very valuable exercise!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wow, jumpin' right into the deep end, huh. I would like to venture that if you like it who gives a hoot what anyone else says. But make sure it fits your vision. Now that you know what can do what, chase your vision. Try to remember how you felt when you made the exposure of the film and try to duplicate that in your work at the enlarger.

Good luck.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format

change...

congratulations - yes, it is exciting!!!

one thing for sure your technique, taste, and eye will evolve and change. it's a good thing because you'll push the envelope and create something new!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congratulations, you never forget you're first print, like the first time you have sex, as long as you don't mix them up.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 11-09-2009 at 02:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin