Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,358   Online: 1003

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Smaller enlarger

I currently own a very nice Omega D-II with variable condenser that I restored myself. I like the sturdiness and stability of the whole construction but this thing is large and heavy. A bit overkill for my 35mm film and 8*10 printing size.

While viewing some of the setup in "Darkroom Portrait" thread, I noticed there are some very compact enlargers that didn't look Omega or Beseler. What are they?

I see myself getting involved in medium format film at some future date and 11*14 paper but not any larger. I do not want a "hobby type" enlarger that I will not be happy with quality of the constructions.

What are my options? Since I don't recognize the make or the model, I cannot even search for the types of enlargers I saw in the aforementioned thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can tell us what the post number in that thread is for the enlarger(s) you are interested in, it may be easier for us to help you.

In case you hadn't noticed it earlier, the post number is at the top right corner of each post.

You will also see a "permalink" indicator there. If you click on that, and then copy the resulting URL, you can post that into a post, allowing anyone to click on the link and be taken directly to that post.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A Beseler 23C II is pretty small. I don't know that you can go any smaller if you're going to do MF. I currently have several of these, if you're interested in buying one. I got them when my local school district went all digital. They're in good shape.
    This is not spam. I am a long time member of APUG.
    Let me know if interested.
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That would make sense, wouldn't it...

The one that caught my eye was on post #37, far left picture. The unit has a red round mark on the light housing, and it appears to have some kind of cam type mechanism for height adjustment, instead of the usual post and slider type. http://www.apug.org/forums/90466-post37.html

I saw more but I'm not able to find them at the moment.

Thank you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    That would make sense, wouldn't it...

The one that caught my eye was on post #37, far left picture. The unit has a red round mark on the light housing, and it appears to have some kind of cam type mechanism for height adjustment, instead of the usual post and slider type. http://www.apug.org/forums/90466-post37.html

I saw more but I'm not able to find them at the moment.

Thank you!
    That is a Leitz Focomat - you have good taste .

Best to hear from those who own one.

Matt

PS: here is a link:

http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/v35.htm
    Last edited by MattKing; 11-17-2009 at 10:49 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add link

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That is a Leica V35 Focomat Enlarger. We have one in the alt process lab at school, but I have yet to actually use it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm guessing these aren't inexpensive models then... I'm known for having a champagne taste.... but I'm also known for having a beer budget!

I bought my Omega D-II for $40... more less a beer keg price.
    Last edited by tkamiya; 11-17-2009 at 11:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't think it's manly to want a smaller enlarger. :-)
    You want a BIGGER negative and a smaller enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Omega C-700 is a good quality machine. It will handle up tp 6x7cm negs easily. I have three of them, as well as an omega Pro45 in my darkroom, and they are less than half the size of the Pro. I do have a C-700 listed in the classifieds to trade, but for the right price will sell outright. It has never been set up and is NIB.

Rick

It is a Leica V35. The baseboard is not small. I could measure mine, but suspect 20 " wide. 24 deep.

The foot print is bigger than my D2. The small size is from the WA 40 mm enlarger lens which allows a 16x20 from the same height a 50mm will project 11x14.

It is 35 mm only and quite possibly the best 35mm enlarger ever made. With careful technique, the D2 will make prints indistinguishable however. The big advantage of the V 35 is the extremely sturdy construction, single side glass neg carrier, and you get perfectly sharp prints corner to corner from the flat neg at f5.6
    It is robust high illumination machine. The D2 is a shakey old piece of junk in comparison. It auto focus from 4x to 16x and manual focus to 17+x.

If you are interested, I have a Leitz Valoy 2 I would consider selling. it is sturdy as a rock with a small footprint.
    maybe a 11x14 baseboard. It will come with my remaining stock of short neck bulbs, 6 or 8 of them. Manual focus to 8x10 + . 35 mm only

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin