Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,358   Online: 1124

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some of my stuff is old also, but not that old! Glad it's still works. I bet it feels good to print again!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    That might do it, the idea is to determine exposure looking at the highlights, and adjust contrast to get the shadows.
    Thanks, it was that simple line i had forgot. Expose for highlights and adjust contrast for the shadows.

Not sure where the mid tones would go though, probably darker.
    Probably darker, yes you are probably right.. i do not want that. Well, this scene do have more range than the paper can handle, even more than the film can handle. So on this paper and a little shaky unsure developing.. I will not pursue this too far, i see this old stuff as training material just to refresh my thinking.

How does developing influence contrast? Is it the same as with film, longer time equals more contrast and more grain in the paper?

@Jeff: Yes it does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How does developing influence contrast? Is it the same as with film, longer time equals more contrast and more grain in the paper?
    Sort of.
    Unlike film, usually paper is developed to completion, so if the exposure is right, there is little to be gained by extending the developing time.
    A good test to determine what that "right" time should be is to do a minimum time to maximum black test using a processed piece of clear film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Check out this pdf on split-grade printing. It shows you how you expose the paper separately for the highlights and the shadows.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When I saw the title to this thread I thought it was my sex life you were discussing

Welcome back to the "real" world. there really is nothing like it. I still remember the thrill of opening my fist box of paper - there was a sense of possibilities. Even after 30 odd years I still get that same feeling when I open a new box of paper. Maybe I should just grow up - but then Peter Pan's still my hero

In using Ilfospeed, the image coming up in 10 seconds is fine - it does that.

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Medium Format

only bw filters

i've never you a color head for bw printing but i have seen filtration instructions of the papers instruction sheets - best place to start.

good luck...

Shooter
    35mm
    I was under the impression that Ilfospeed was the fixed-grade paper from Ilford, with Multigrade being the variable-grade. (Goes to check).

. . .

Just checked on the Ilford site and indeed, the Ilfospeed is fixed grade so filtering it with yellow or magenta won't make any significant contrast difference.

Have lots of fun with the 'return' though !
    Last edited by MartinP; 11-24-2009 at 01:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Forgot a bit

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    Just checked on the Ilford site and indeed, the Ilfospeed is fixed grade so filtering it with yellow or magenta won't make any significant contrast difference.

Have lots of fun with the 'return' though !
    Ahh, yes. You are right, sitting here with the info-sheet from the box. Though i have had lots of photo-unrelated work, so i have not had any time for the darkroom. I think you just saved some of that old paper, thanks. Can see my self.. why do i not see any change??? But on the other hand, i see all those old papers i got with the enlarger as learning and experimenting paper.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin