Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,659   Online: 1099

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

25 years since last time.

I just got an urge to share.. It was 25 years ago since i made my last enlargement in the darkroom, but now i have found my way home again. I recently bought a Durst 805 Color with a 50mm componon-s and a Nikkor 75mm, plus a lot of other things including 15 to 20 year old papers and some just as old bottles of unopened Rodinal.

Just made my first print with the old stuff, just to try. Mixed up some old Rodinal 1:20 and a bit of fixer, to try if this old stuff and the Ilfospeed RC papers still worked. First i did two test strips and then a full 9x6" print. It came out quite alright, not completely happy but darn good to be the first time on 25 years, especially when using chems like that with only a small clue about dilution and dev. time. And now i can say for sure when digitizing, i get less grain, more detail and sharpness scanning a print like that at 600ppi than scanning the negative at 3200 ppi with my old Epson 3170.

Help me to refresh my memmory. How would i go to get the highlights just a bit darker, the midtones a bit lighter and the shadows about the same?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test0001.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	15821

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Surely you didn't use your 25-year-old bottle of Rodinal?!

Welcome back.
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes i did, but the Rodinal is not 25 years old, it is made about 15 years ago. But i have not done darkroom work on 25 years.

The old professional i bought the enlarger of has even more oldies in his garage, like a whole box of X-cube flashes (about 100 of them), and more bottles of Rodinal. I also got some jugs with a noname fine grain developer and fix, but i suspect those chemicals have gone bad since they are not concentrated like the Rodinal. The old man once had a shop selling photo gear in the town where i live.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Holy shite... me too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Did you use the Rodinal to develop prints? I've never used it, but am sure it is a film developer.

Welcome back to the dark side!!
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    Did you use the Rodinal to develop prints? I've never used it, but am sure it is a film developer.
    Yes Rodinal was meant for film, but it works for prints too, i learned that here on APUG a couple of days ago. But recommendations on dilution varies, i tried 1:20. Next time i will try to dilute it a bit more, the picture came out worrying fast, it started to appear already after 10 seconds. I lifted the paper out of the tray after about 30 sec.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I used Rodinal 1:50 and 1:100 with 4x5 Agfapan 25 and 100. I LOVED the acutance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome back. There are a lot of us here who were "away" for awhile.
    I've used Rodinal 1:20 for prints. It does come up fast, but I developed for a full two minutes. I never did enough to work out a workflow, though.
    juan

Shooter
    35mm
    But what about my question. Will i get closer to what i want by using a bit of Y-filter and increase exposure time. I had 8s and no filtration at all. Maybe 2s more and 30Y? This is a part of the art i do not remember.

(edit) How does yellow filtering affect shadows vs highlights, i know that i get less contrast, but does it affect shadow as much as highligts?
    Last edited by steelneck; 11-18-2009 at 08:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe 2s more and 30Y? This is a part of the art i do not remember.
    That might do it, the idea is to determine exposure looking at the highlights, and adjust contrast to get the shadows.
    Using that model, to keep the shadows as they are you'll likely need to reduce contrast, to compensate for increasing the time to darken the highlights. Adding some yellow filtration should do that. Not sure where the mid tones would go though, probably darker. Split filtering might work well for this, do a base exposure the same as what you've used, with no filters, then add some time using strong yellow filtration to select the highlights.

There are information sheets on Ilford's web site with the filter recommendations for their current VC papers. I don't know if your old Ilfospeed would match the current specifications though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin