Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,800   Online: 1115

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Flat under the enlarger

Whenever I try to make a border-less print without an easel, the paper has a tendency to buckle in the middle. Although it's miniscule, the slight variation in the height is enough to throw the focus off.

Any tips on how to get a good flat image without having to get a sans-border easel?

Alex

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My only suggestion would be to print with a border using the easel then trim the borders off, that's all I got
    erik

Shooter
    35mm
    The little inventor in me pops out.. Drill a small hole in the easel, connect a small tube, put it in your mouth and suck the paper flat. (or a little suction fan)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Put a drop of super glue in the center of the easel to keep the paper flat.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    put sheet of glass over paper

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well...Ive tried the elmers glue method in the middle, but it creates a mess in dev (I guess I use to much!). The glass method works, but any scratches or dirt on the glass will ruin the whole print. The homemade vacuum easel sounds excellent...but I'm afraid that if I spend the money on that, I could have spent the same money buying a borderless easel. And last but not least, the cutting method works, but people don't seem satisfied with portraits unless they fit perfectly in an 8x10 frame.

When will the madness end?

Thanks for all the advice!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about using something like a strip of double stick tape and glued portion of Post-it note papers to hold the photographic paper flat? You could double-stick tape the Post-it upside down. Your photo paper will come off clean and easily, yet post it should be strong enough to hold it flat, at least temporary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you rub double coated tape with a little baby powder, it will separate from the paper easily.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by richard ide View Post
    If you rub double coated tape with a little baby powder, it will separate from the paper easily.
    just tried this with a contact sheet and a block of MDF. Looks promising so far.

I will try this in the darkroom tomorrow!

Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anchell's Darkroom Cookbook 2nd ed has a formula for Sticky Easel, gelatin based. It's formula #202 in the book. It appears to be dropped from the 3rd edition.

Your local art supply store probably has a low-tack adhesive spray, something along the lines of Post-It notes adhesive, that could be used on MDF or other flat material.

Lee

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin