Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,216   Posts: 1,659,488   Online: 857

Thread: Cross-eyed

Shooter
    35mm

Cross-eyed

Is there any way in the darkroom to get rid of this cross-eyed look?

I didn't realize she looked cross-eyed until the picture had completely dried and I'll be trying different ways to get rid of the cross look, and am open to any suggestions.

Not sure exactly how I was going to go about it, but I hope to have something next time I go dark.

edit: printing on Ilford Multigrade IV Matte Fiber paper. film was arista edu iso400
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mollie-1a.JPG  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    She doesn't look cross-eyed. It's just her hair blocking the view of her right pupil that's throwing you off... that and the fact that her eyes are turned about as far as they're physically capable.

Shooter
    35mm
    It gives her a quirky, mischevious look and it's fine. The setting and her look makes me think that she knows how it will turn out. If you and she wanted a Hollywood glamour look then I'd start again. If she is happy then it's fine. If she's disappointed then destroy the neg and discuss with her what she is looking for. I think you have an interesting and probably versatile model here.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    You could probably dodge the darker area in the right eye that makes her look cross-eyed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    You could probably dodge the darker area in the right eye that makes her look cross-eyed.
    ... and then if you are a really good painter, paint/spot in two new pupils.

Good luck!

If this had been shot on a much larger negative, a skilled negative retoucher might be able to make corrections on the negative as well.

This is probably the sort of problem that doesn't lead easily to an analogue solution.

By the way, welcome to APUG.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks all for the help. She's not a model but just a friend, either way I'm sure she'll be stoked by the compliment. I was thinking about the painting the eye but wasn't sure whether it would stick out. Also, my hands aren't steady at all, which is why I got into photography and not painting :-p

I think I'm going to try dodging her right eye (looking it at, the left side) and paint in a small pupil next to where it really is.

pentaxuser and Mike: the scanned image doesn't show it, but on the full print it gives her more of a googly-eyed look rather than a mischievous look. If it were that, it would be awesome. I think dodging out that rogue shadow will fix it though, and give it the mischievous look. I'll probably be going dark tonight and will re-scan in the morning.

again, thank you all.

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe you can selectively bleach the left eye and refix the print, then paint a new pupil.
    A bit too much effort IMHO though.

Oh, and welcome to APUG.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ehh... she's cute... cross-eyed or not. Don't be an idiot. Buy her dinner, take her to a movie, then shoot some awesome nudes, then...........

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin