Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,387   Online: 1092

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

6x4.5 Negative carrier

I haven't done any printing in many years but I just bought a 23CII XL enlarger on ebay and would like to get started again. The enlarger is setup for 35mm with neg carrier and 50mm El Nikor lens. I would like to also use it on 6x4.5 negs from my Bronica Etrsi and was wondering if anyone uses the 6x6 neg carrier for 6x4.5. I have found the 6x6 on ebay but no 6x4.5 negative carrier and they seem to be very expensive new. I also need an 80mm lens and lens board as I assume each lens needs a lens board. any ideas appreciated.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Not the same, but I have a Fujimoto Lucky 60M enlarger that came with 35mm and 6x6 carriers for MF negs. I print my 645 negs through that carrier with no problems. Don't see where it would be an issue though I am not familiar with your 23CII.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I also use a 6x6. I just mask it to 645.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Marvin, congratulations on your new enlarger, and welcome to APUG.

If you search the eBay camera and photo category every day or two for the search string "Beseler carrier," you will see all sorts of Beseler negative carriers and the one that you want will come along eventually, if you can be patient. If I were you, I wouldn't pay full price for a new one.

Yes, you will want to have a lensboard for each lens that you use. Fortunately, the lensboards are very common and you will have no problem picking them up on eBay. You might need to pick up a 39mm retaining ring for each lens, but those are extremely cheap.

If there is any chance that you will purchase a 6x7 or 6x9 camera, you might want to buy a 105mm lens instead of an 80, or in addition to the 80. Your enlarger will handle negatives up to 6x9, which is one of the reasons why I think that you made an excellent choice. Some medium format enlargers only go up to 6x6 or 6x7. I think you will find that 6x9 folders can be a lot of fun, and there are also the excellent Fuji 6x9 rangefinders to consider.

Lastly, my advice is to use a sniping system on eBay if you aren't already; it will save you money in the long run. I can recommend www.auctionsniper.com, and use that site myself for all my eBay bidding. Bidding early on an eBay auction only signals your interest to others and allows them to bid higher in response. Don't signal your interest in any eBay item, and always bid your maximum bid in the last 5 seconds of the auction.

Be sure to let us know how you get along with your new enlarger!
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I print 6x4.5 using a 6x6 neg carrier on my small enlarger, and 6x7 using a 6x9 neg carrier on 4x5 enlargers. I don't even bother masking. It works fine. Doesn't make much sense for me to have 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, and 6x9 carriers when this way works fine. In fact, I prefer having the edges of the frame (or at least two of them) showing with the over-sized carriers. It lets me crop with the easel if I want to, instead of being forced to do so by the neg carrier.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the info. The enlarger came from a news paper that had gone digital and I was able to do local pickup and save shipping. I had no idea that I would win the bid for $42.00 but went to look the next morning and had won. When I arrived to pick it up the ladies in the office were not familiar with the darkroom only that their photogs used it before they switched to digital. The enlarger does not have a bulb or a manual and I will have to pick them up. I saw the bulbs on ebay for about $10.00 and downloaded a pdf for the older model C23 manual. While I was there there was other equipment there and the lady said would it be worth $20.00 so I took it. There was a film drier that took about 8 rolls on the reels a tempering bath with temp control for developing film and 4 SS developing tanks with about 15 ss reels for 35mm and 120. Some of this stuff I probably wont use but it was a package. There was also an easel and a set of Polycontrast filters. I was looking for an enlarger but got the newspapers darkroom for $62.00. It has been a long time since I have done any darkroom and I am looking forward to getting started.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good find! I use a 23CIII. I actually have a 6x4.5 carrier, but would use the 6x6 if I didn't. I also only have one lensboard and just switch lenses on it when I need to. I've been doing that for several years and it's not been a problem. Bulbs are also available elsewhere - just make sure you get the right one - here it is - http://www.freestylephoto.biz/234322...5W?cat_id=2101

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice catch on the tempering bath, if it works. If it works, and you decide you don't want it, shoot me a line. Congrats! Now, get it up and running and start printing!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks again and I will get one of those bulbs from freestyle. The tempering bath looks like it was used for C41 there are 4 spaces big enough for 4 ss tanks or 4 quart chemical bottles and the heating unit goes on the end and no I haven't tried it yet but thought it might be good if I do any E6 or C41. I don't think I will use the film drier I normally just hang it up. I guess a newspaper had to get the film dry fast and ready to print. I don't have any paper or paper developer so I guess I will have to get some supplies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only time a 6x6 carrier won't work is if you have been so unfortunate as to have cut out a single negative.

Personally, however, I prefer having the exact size carrier, but I've also been content over the years to be patient as I watch over eBay and Craigslist.

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin