Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,817   Online: 723

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Polish this, clean that, and you know what? If you drag the film strip through the negative carrier, it will get scratched. Don't do it and the film won't get scratched. It's that simple.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will use my top secret plutonium nuclear polisher to make the surface ultra-super-special smooth, then pull the film through it at half the speed of light. I will report back later with the results.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I will use my top secret plutonium nuclear polisher to make the surface ultra-super-special smooth, then pull the film through it at half the speed of light. I will report back later with the results.
    Or just get a Beseler........:rolleyes:
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I use 4x5, 120 square, and 35mm glassless Omega carriers all the time. The 35mm is fairly new (bought new in 1980, painted bottom black and top white, I think - or visa versa - it's down in the darkroom), the other two are very old, just aluminum matte finish. I move and adjust negs all the time, and for many years, by taking the carrier out of the enlarger, holding vertical as I look through the neg, and loosely, so the film is relaxed inside, make the adjustment, put it back in. Never a scratch, ever, not once.

Makes me think yours have been burred, or somehow defaced, maybe just a bit but enough. I'd be tempted to polish as others have suggested. You could put in a wet neg (solid black), move it around a bit, and maybe locate the offending spot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Collier View Post
    You could put in a wet neg (solid black), move it around a bit, and maybe locate the offending spot.
    I would think that the location of the scratches on your existing negs should give you a pretty good idea of where your problem(s) lie. If it's just a single spot it should be pretty easy to fix. If they are all over the place, it is either a handling error or your carrier is in really (really) bad shape. (but it doesn't sound like it from your description) One way or the other, I'm betting dollars to donuts that you'll have the problem solved before the weekend is done.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

A little 400 grit emery cloth around the opening to smooth it.

But the real key is to take the top off, move the film, replace the top. If you slide film, there is always the possibility of scratching whether is is rough surface or some small debris get cought.

If you reall must pull film thru, there was a special carrier made for that that will be hard to find today. It may have been aftermarket item. There are troughs for the rolls at each end. I have seen one in 50 years.

I suppose you could ceate a tape channel for the film. but flatness will be worse and film not being flat, will tend to rub the top anyway.

So bevel the opening a little, re blacken, and stop sliding film thru.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin