Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,312   Posts: 1,536,657   Online: 840

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Scratching film in enlarger

I seem to scratch my negative while I print. My negative carrier is a sandwich type (non-glass) Omega D2 kind. I'm careful to open up the sandwich slightly when I move the negative to adjust its position.

Are there any tricks to avoid this? I thought about using masking tape or something around the opening but then I might get some glue on film.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes --CLEAN, CLEAN, and CLEAN everything, then do not move the film after it is in the carrier. Make sure there isn't any dust or other grit on the film or carrier. If you have any type of anti-static cloth or brush- this is the place to use them.

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What Rick says; If you need to move the film, remove the carrier from the enlarger, make the adjustment only when the negative is not sandwiched.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Has the opening been filed out? Perhaps it needs some additonal work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, I didn't file the opening. It's the standard 35mm carrier. That being said, this thing is older than me. Although it doesn't feel rough to touch, it is entirely possible there may be microscopic imperfections. I'll thoroughly clean it and see what happens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe if you polish the carrier, then seal it with something-varnish or laquer, or an enamel, might help. My carriers are enameled except for my 35mm full frame, its bare aluminum.

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll polish it with automotive paste wax containing polishing compound, then use alcohol to remove the wax. That should get it very smooth without damaging the surface, don't you think? Mine has painted surfaces.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds good, as long as it doesn't create static cling(shouldn't with high humidity).

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Touching it while being grounded (uh, like holding a radiator), usually diminishes static problems.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I seem to scratch my negative while I print. My negative carrier is a sandwich type (non-glass) Omega D2 kind. I'm careful to open up the sandwich slightly when I move the negative to adjust its position.

Are there any tricks to avoid this? I thought about using masking tape or something around the opening but then I might get some glue on film.....
    I have used Omega carriers to cut string the edges can be that sharp. Remove the carrier and take the top part off to make adjustments or to change negs.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin