Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,518   Online: 1023

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, I have decided to take the responses and create a text file that I will eventually print out and keep close at hand for reference. This is what I basically take thus far.

Print the negative with the most detail. If it is too light with almost no detail it will be very dark. If it is to thick then it will be washed out. YOU CAN’T PRINT WHAT ISN’T THERE.

Use your contact sheet to determine a base contrast range and gauge your printing from there.

Pay attention to the midtones for a great print where highlights or shadows are not the paramount desire.

Max black will match the unexposed edges of the negative. Use this for comparison within the negative.

In order. Evaluate the mid tones. Make the base exposure. Then on to overall contrast changes. Place the shadows next. Then work with the highlights. Then employ local controls (dodging and burning).

Compare the print to the negative so you know what it is you have printed.

Thank you for the advice. I hope to get more ideas to integrate into a new procedure.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm RF
    good thread worthy of sticky? christopher`s sum up included.
    I have found this very usefull and sure that others new and not so new to enlarging would like this info on hand. regards

JCT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have also found this thread very helpful -- obviously the skills involved in judging or interpreting negatives destined for printing take time to develop, but having a chance to see how others approach this complex process is very useful.

JT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin