Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,536   Online: 1056

Shooter
    Multi Format

New toy for my darkroom - focuser!

I just got a Magna Sight image focuser delivered. This is interesting.... It's a relatively large device similar to grain focuser but it is an image focuser instead. Image bounces off a mirror and get projected to a ground glass which I view it through 10x magnifier. I chose this rather than the traditional grain focuser based on reviews that folks with eyesight issues often have problem with grain focusers. The eye piece is HUGE on this thing... about 1.5" diameter. I can see the magnified image from abut a foot away.

I can't wait til I use this... I have to wait until dark hours.... (I have no curtain in my darkroom area)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have one of these and a regular grain focuser.
    I find I use the MagnSight most often.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am another Magnasight fan.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Magna Sight is great. I find that I'm only able to use it to focus because I've never been able to use a grain focuser (near-sightedness). I've never had any problem with out-of-focus prints.

One more thing. I highly suggest getting something to screen your darkroom. There's always some light at night. You'll probably see improvements in your prints if the only light in your darkroom is a safe light.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The Magnasight is relatively low tech and an ugly piece of equipment. I switched from a Peak grain focuser to the Magnasight because the grain on TMAX is so fine that it is sometimes hard to focus with a Peak. The Magnasight works like a charm.

I even bought one new! Every once in awhile I get a little rush from being able to buy any darkroom equipment new.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    following a recommendation in Barry Thornton's book The Edge of Darkness, I attached a close up lens to my Magna Sight. You then need to bend over and put your eye to it like you would a grain focuser, but you see a greatly magnified image of details that can be focused very easily.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin