Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,444   Online: 1185

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Pinhole

How do I mount lenses on Omega D6 turret board?

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but APUG has already been an invaluable resource. I just got a Omega D6 with a dichroic II head for a very good price but without lenses. The lens board is a turret which holds three lenses and each of the turret mounts has a smaller metal octagonal piece which attaches to the turret with screws. All three of the smaller pieces currently have different hole sizes (one looks like it was hand shimmed).

I'm shooting 135 and 120 so I picked up a 50mm el nikkor and will be getting a 80-100mm lens soon. I'll have to return the 50mm because the condition is pretty bad, but I'm wondering how I mount the lens onto the board. I'm assuming there's a nut ring of some sort that the lens screws into, correct? Is this a standard size, or do they vary with lens types/companies? And then how does this nut connect to the lens turret?

Sorry for the clueless questions, and thanks for any help.

-Nate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nate.m View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but APUG has already been an invaluable resource. I just got a Omega D6 with a dichroic II head for a very good price but without lenses. The lens board is a turret which holds three lenses and each of the turret mounts has a smaller metal octagonal piece which attaches to the turret with screws. All three of the smaller pieces currently have different hole sizes (one looks like it was hand shimmed).

I'm shooting 135 and 120 so I picked up a 50mm el nikkor and will be getting a 80-100mm lens soon. I'll have to return the 50mm because the condition is pretty bad, but I'm wondering how I mount the lens onto the board. I'm assuming there's a nut ring of some sort that the lens screws into, correct? Is this a standard size, or do they vary with lens types/companies? And then how does this nut connect to the lens turret?

Sorry for the clueless questions, and thanks for any help.

-Nate
    There are a few different mounting plates depending on the focal length of the lens you are mounting. The basic plate is a 421-055 which has no offset for a 50-80mm lens. The 421-132 is used with a 135mm. There are other plates, but I dont have a list handy. Also there are a couple of models that do not require a ring nut to secure the lens, you just screw the lens in. Hope that helped.

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was where you were at when I got my D5, turret, one lens, no flange plates, and other lenses to mount. I used the lens flange I had as a template to make others out of thin aluminum plate, and then put the lens in and made a thread holding ring out of fimo modelling clay rolled into a ring and them pressed into the threads that were though the plate. Before I could get it painted I found the real deal in a lot of bits I bought off craigslist, but the home made solution worked fine for the week that I used it. When fimo is not strong enough on its own, I spead the outside of whatever I have molded from clay with hot glue. They are not pretty items, but are functional.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As you are buying lenses, try to get ones that have their "jam nut",

If not, they are available. http://www.shop.com/lens+jam+nut?g=1...259444460&k=24

Lenses and mounting plates, nuts, etc are all readily available. Ebay is a good source for this sort of thing. As someone already said, there are lens plates for the Omega that are already threaded, and you won't need a nut if you get that sort of plate. The Nikkors are generally 39mm, which is oftern called "leica mount". This is close to being a standard for enlarger lenses, but it is not universal. But a 50, 80 or 105 will most likely be 39mm mount. Larger lenses may have a larger mount.

Flat plates are available for mounting single lenses. However, on the turret, you may need plates that allow the lens to be offset a bit so that the back of the lens will clear when the turret is rotated. This is hard to describe without pictures, but since you have the turret, it should reveal itself to you.

Shooter
    Large Format
    http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/LensMountD5.htm
    This should guide you to the lens/mounting plate combo you want.
    As mentioned the size of the mounting hole is variable but standardized. as well the thickness/length of the lens requires mounting plates of different thickness to slide in.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Thanks for the great responses! I do see that it needs to be offset to clear, and so I'll probably try to pick up some plates which do that. If not, I can always try to rig something up. Bill, that reference link is a great help. Does anyone know why the reference link says only the El Nikkor 50mm out of all the Nikkors is recommended for the turret? Is it because the others will need to be offset so much?

Maybe I'll just have to screw and unscrew the different mounting plates into position instead of using the turret.

Once again, Mahalo, this has all been enlightening.

-Nate

Shooter
    Large Format
    Maybe I'll just have to screw and unscrew the different mounting plates into position instead of using the turret.
    -Nate
    I am not sure what you mean by this but if you don't use the turret at all you will need a single lens slide in mount thingee in addition to the lens and the plate.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    I am not sure what you mean by this but if you don't use the turret at all you will need a single lens slide in mount thingee in addition to the lens and the plate.
    Sorry, I meant that I'll just use a jam nut in the open turret slot and let the lens stick out the top of the turret. So the turret won't be able to turn, but it'll hold the lens.

Actually, I just found a correct mounting board for the turret. I see why they say buy these things all as a set because the individual pieces seem to be priced pretty outrageously in comparison. I'll just have to keep bargain hunting for the others.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Does anyone know why the reference link says only the El Nikkor 50mm out of all the Nikkors is recommended for the turret? Is it because the others will need to be offset so much?
    Not sure. Actually, it references the 50mm f2.8N specifically. There are other Nikkor 50mm lenses and there may be something to that. I don't believe it is eliminating all other Nikkor focal lengths, especialy since the chart lists the proper mounting plates for all the rest for the turret.

On my turret, I had mounted (all EL Nikkors) a 63mm, an 80mm and the 105mm.

One option would be to get the slide in lens plate and a threaded mount. You could then put on any one lens at a time. To help finance this, the turret could be sold. They usually go for pretty good money. Just a thought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Very carefully.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin