Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,585   Online: 1106

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

Enlarger aligning tool/laser request

I was wondering if anyone had a laser enlarging aligning tool that I would be able to borrow to align my enlarger. I'm in the process of aligning my enlarger and have done so to the best of my ability using all means that I have. I would certainly pay for shipping both ways and also some extra for the kind cooperation.

Anyone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Consider my low tech option.

Place a black film leader etc in the negative carrier, emulson side up. With a pin, scratch the emulsion off around the edge of the carrier, ensuring that film is held firmly in place while doing so. Take the film out of the carrier and use a steel ruler, scribe in diagonals across from corners of the rectangle or square that you scribed. sweep off the emulsion burs.

Put this test neg the regualr way, emuson down, in the neg carrier, and project it.

Check for sharpness of image, measure the length of the sides, etc to check for things all being the same length, etc.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Brian

I have a laser aligner that would work. I would be willing for this to happen if you are covering the fedx, insurance and get it back to me within a four day period.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had a laser enlarging aligning tool that I would be able to borrow to align my enlarger. I'm in the process of aligning my enlarger and have done so to the best of my ability using all means that I have. I would certainly pay for shipping both ways and also some extra for the kind cooperation.

Anyone?

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post

Anyone?
    Have you considered making your own?

All you need is to buy a small laser module and make a wood housing for it. Add three screws as feet and off you go. Works perfect.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brian,

I have one but am in Afghanistan and it is in the UK.... However, I strongly recommend you get one permanently. It is the best thing I have ever bought for my darkroom. One thing a lot of people dont realise is that alignment changes as you rack up the head as not only will the leverage be different, but the column may not be 100% straight (i.e fractionally curved). These differences mean nothing most of the time, but if you are ever going to do large prints from 35mm i.e. large enlargement ratio and cannot stop down too far due to exposure times getting too long, it is such a valuable tool.

I intend to get a 45 APO f4 or APO rodagon to allow me to print at wider apertures for 20x16s off 35mm (to reduce times) but this means perfect and I mean perfect alignment is essential if you want crunchy grain right into the corners.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mike, this is what I've done so far. I got it very very close.

Ralph and Tom, I have considered making one. I figured this would be a quicker option for right now. Maybe in the future.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Brian

I have a laser aligner that would work. I would be willing for this to happen if you are covering the fedx, insurance and get it back to me within a four day period.

Bob
    Bob, email sent.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin