Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,506   Posts: 1,543,519   Online: 1022

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Printing color negatives on standard black and white paper:

I know this simple issue has been brought up before, but I'm again wondering if anyone has experience doing this, since I'm forgetting what I used to do. I've recently tried printing color negs on Panalure, but I don't like the fact that I don't have conrast control.

A few years back I played around with printing some color negs on black and white paper. If I recall, the trick was using a darker grade filter as a base, but I can't remember why. I do remember that the exposure times were pretty long.

I haven't done this a lot, and I'm sure there would be some differences from real BW negatives, but I'm willing to try it if I have contrast control. Thanks.

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Start with a 3 1/2 filter. That usually knocks down the grain as well.

Good luck.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Every once in awhile i have a student who brings in some color negatives. As this is a gang darkroom it is necessary to use standard b&w papers.
    the times are long , the contrast high and grain can be a problem; however, with care nice prints can result.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok. The 3 1/2 filter sparks my memory. Thanks. I'll give this a try and post something If I get decent results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I understand that Panalure is available in soft, medium and high contrast. With these grades and careful use of two bath and water bath development you do have some contrast control. On the other hand try starting on grade 3.5 as KA suggests although I have always found the need to use grade 4 or higher which increases the grain problem. One other suggestion to help reduce grain is to make a test print at the grade that gives the contrast you need and then make a post flashing test to see if a short exposure to white light has the desired effect. I use post flashing techniques quite a lot in my printing and have noticed a difference in the grain where I have flashed only a small area of the image. It's a little unconventional but worth a sheet of paper on a test.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried one recently and it wasn't any good. I started with a high filter having read that many times (last one of these I did was 20+years ago on Ilfospeed paper and can't remember what I did then other than it wasn't any good then either... I still have the prints to confirm that) Anyway, I ended up back on normal grade and normalish exposure times but the print still wasn't any good. It was a picture of my son and the skin tone was all wrong. Maybe it will work for non-people pics. That's what I found.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've had very mixed results when doing this. Seems to me that it depends quite a bit on the color palette of the image and subject matter in how it translates onto B&W paper. Sometimes it looks ok, sometimes it just doesn't look anywhere near right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I may be wrong, but I think Kodak has stopped making all but the medium contrast Panalure (which I have). I bought some off Ebay for playing around with, but I don't really like the look of it. It's sort of a glossy surface, but not quite.

I ran a test where I used quite a few filters with a 15 second exposure. 0, 1, 2, 3 all looked identical, I increased to 30 seconds for the 4 & 5 filters. They looked similar, with the #5 filter showing a lot of grain. I'm now playing with some of the images in case the heavy grain looks ok.

Most of what I'm hoping to print now are photos I took on a trip through Italy and France a few years back. I took 50 rolls of color, and I have a lot of great shots I'd like to frame in Black and White (if this works out!). I have two rolls of black and white from that trip (two more were ruined by the lab as I wasn't doing my own processing at the time). If this fails I may just have to find a color lab to make these enlargements for me. That'll cost me though!

Les-would you mind pointing me to a post or another source for more information on post flashing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    David,

Let me have your email address and I'll send you a draft copy of an article that I wrote on the subject. My email address is les.mclean1@btopenworld.com

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    les;
    is this similar to your statement in your book, or more detailed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin