Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,709   Posts: 1,548,625   Online: 1160

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    You do need to see the line and grain both in focus at the same time, so I would replace the line.

Jon
    how large is the line and where does it mount?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, look at the lower end of the tube portion of the scope. There should be a plastic ring that you can pry off. Under that is a metal ring across which was glued a piece of small piece of line. You should still be able to see where the ends of the line were glued. The line is just a short length of mono-filament fishing line or thread. Has been many years since I fixed one, but as best as remember that's how they are constructed.

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 01-27-2010 at 10:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Has anyone tried one of these? It's called a Focoblitz, and runs off the mains. The sensor is placed on the easel, and the B/W cathode ray screen displays the grain, sharp as a tack, when in focus. No peering into an eye-piece whilst stretching the right arm up to turn the focus knob. And when I tested it against a large and small Paterson grain focusser, and compared the discernible grain on the equivalent of a 20x16" enlargement from 35mm, the indicated focus from the Focoblitz gave the sharpest grain.
    Of course there are downsides. There is expense - I paid over £100 on eBay a couple of years ago (they are £1000 odd new if still obtainable; I'm not sure what the original use was, but doubt it was photography). And the the screen gives out light though it reduces to very little if a cap is place over the sensor. When switched off there is that residual CRT glow, so it is not very practical if you hand-focus every time you move the enlarger head.
    So why did I buy it? Because I love autofocus, having a Focomat V35, where the autofocus is spot on. Then I bought an old Durst DA900 for medium format, supposedly autofocus too; but it was all out of kilter. I went potty trying to fine tune it, by adjusting the cam and any other variable; and the tuning involves accurate focussing at top and bottom of the enlarger column; leading to stiff neck and aching shoulder, on top of which, as noted here, it is not always that easy to see the grain.
    So this machine was a godsend; now the tuning is done, autofocus is as accurate as the V35. Now I just check focus at the beginning of a session, turn the machine off and the screen to the wall, and I am away. In fact the autofocus has been so good for so long I only check occasionally, but if ever it goes off I will be able to re-adjust it.
    Richard
    PS It was expensive, if not a lot more than a Peak; but the kids have all left home and they have all got paid jobs, so I thought I would give myself a little treat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0052.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=youngrichard;932423]PS It was expensive, if not a lot more than a Peak;

A bit less than a Peak if the last e-bay auction was anything to go by. The Peak went for just over £155!

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the last few months, I've ordered MagnaView and MagnaSight brand new from a reputable store in New York. I had to go through 4 magnasight until I found one that was acceptable. Some had bottom not ground flush so it will rock on easel and some had the rivet that joins two pices lose. As far as MagnaView is concerned, the first one had scratches on the mirror and second one had chip in the mirror and spilled glue all over the body. I kept the best MagnaSite and I am returning MagnaView for a refund. I had it with this company. (not the store, the manufacturer) The description says they are hand calibrated. I'm not sure what to believe on these devices anymore.

Each time, the store was nice enough to cheerfully exchange/refund with return labels. I continue to favor this store for going out of their way to be on my side by providing me with pre-paid return labels. I am keeping the name of store to avoid turning this thread to store vs store discussion. If you must know, please PM me and I'll tell you.

If you decide to buy new, be aware, the quality control does appear to be slipping or non-existent.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    I have Paterson, but I am not using it because I am not sure whether I can trust it. Because following can influence measuring:
    1. It has adjustable lens and I am not sure whether it is correctly placed
    2. Mirror is above the paper
    If I am wrong, than please correct me. Does anyone have manual? I would like to have a copy, because I received it without manual. How can I set up Paterson to measure correct?

I use focusing based on focusing rift (???) of my enlarger it is on negative carrier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an Omega - same as the Peak; fantastic piece of kit. Well worth the $60 I paid for it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    FWIW, I went to the "Bestwell Optical" website and was able to purchase a new reticle for my Microsight focuser for $4.95 US. They sent me two of the reticle units. They responded very quickly.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Very good! I just took a look at mine and one end of the line had become unglued. Time to fix.
    http://bestwelloptical.com/

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Peaks are good, I got mine for £29 on ebay you just have to wait for the bargin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin