Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,818   Online: 797

Thread: VC filters

Shooter
    Multi Format

VC filters

Hello all -

My reentry to wet work continues. I've found all my old gear, save a couple thermometers. A question: Adorama carries both Ilford and Kodak vc filters; the Kodak is about $30 as opposed to about $55 for Ilford. Since the $25 difference would buy some paper, and since Kodak is exiting the paper biz, would I be okay with Kodak? I think both kits have the same number of filters. I've never used vc paper and I don't want to make my entry any harder than it need be.

Thanks to all!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GRHazelton View Post
    Hello all -

My reentry to wet work continues. I've found all my old gear, save a couple thermometers. A question: Adorama carries both Ilford and Kodak vc filters; the Kodak is about $30 as opposed to about $55 for Ilford. Since the $25 difference would buy some paper, and since Kodak is exiting the paper biz, would I be okay with Kodak? I think both kits have the same number of filters. I've never used vc paper and I don't want to make my entry any harder than it need be.

Thanks to all!
    Both sets will work. 3rd party filters may even be cheaper. Nevertheless, I prefer a color enlarger to do the filtration, because I can alter the contrast on very minute steps and not just 1/2 grade steps.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Either Kodak or Ilford filters will work just fine.

The one thing you DON'T want to do is mix them. There is no consistency between the grades assigned to various filter numbers by different manufacturers. Within one manufacturer's set, the numbers denote a regular progression from least contrasty to most contrasty, and when you are printing, you choose the filter that gives you the result you are looking for. But if you try to substitute a filter from another manufacturer, you may find that it gives a quite different result than you expect.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, guys. Those were the answers I'd hoped for.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin