Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,891   Posts: 1,520,851   Online: 1166

Thread: Bessler 67

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Bessler 67

Ok, this is my last post of the day. Besides all my questions on formats and systems I could really use some advise on enlargers. While my purchase of a new camera system isn't quite on the horrizon yet, my purchase of an enlarger is. I am looking to set up a darkroom in the guest bathroom of my new condo. I have more or less settled on the Bessler printmaker 67. I figure I can do all the 35mm work I want to right now and also have the option to enlarge medium format as well. I really only have a budget of no more than 2 or 3 hundred dollars and the printmaker seems to be the best. If any one knows of a better enlarger for about the same amount I would really appriciate the heads up. Thanks.
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=2]"We are not at War, we are having a nervous breakdown". Hunter S. Thompson[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Stephen
    I have no idea if this is relavant, but I bought a beautiful vintage Beseler 23II on ebay for a song. I have the old dear up & operational in my new little darkroom, now. It came with negative carriers for both 35mm & the medium format films. In the class I took, we made carriers for slightly larger format film. I have seen 67s on ebay as well.
    Ebay is like every other bargain basement... you really need to do some digging to get the gems buried in the fluff! But it never hurts to look! Besides...there is the adrenaline rush to consider! haha
    But, I am a born-to-shop, bargain-hunting kinda gal!
    Jeanette

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hello and welcome.

Like you, I was out of the fine art business while raising a family. When I decided to get back with it, a 67C came to me at a bargain price for the time, circ 1989. Since then I have obtained an old (read ancient) Omega DII upon which I work from 35mm thru 5x4.

The Beseler is great for 35mm thru 6x7. It has limitations such as the lens mounting system and adjustment limitations, Both can be overcome with some inginuity. I can recommend the Beseler with a good lens for a starter.

However I think you would be much better off getting a 4x5 Omega or Beseler (or Durst or phillips or ...., depending on $). They really don't cost all that much more and there will come a time when monkeying around with a 67 (or 23) to obtain a given result will become tiresome. The space required for my Omega is not much larger than the 67C and the selection of lenses, mounts, and carriers (on E--y) is so much greater - especially now.

Having said that and wrecked my chance for a sale, I have an almost mint 67C I can let go. Unfortunantly the cost of shipping almost exceeds the worth of the item, but if you are interested in a pick-up or delivery within the Wash-Balt-Annap area, let me know.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    I have no idea if this is relavant, but I bought a beautiful vintage Beseler 23II on ebay for a song.
    I also bought an older 23CII from eBay for next to nothing. I think it was $75 + $50 S/H (the previous owner didn't dismantle it). That price bought the enlarger with a condenser head, 35mm carrier, and El-Nikor 50mm f/2.8 lens. If you look at the older ones (the blue ones!), you'll find great deals!

The 23C can make very large enlargements against a wall, has various heads available, and accepts larger negatives (up to 6x9cm). The 23C will not enlarge large format negatives. If you're considering getting a large format camera, you'll need something bigger than the 23C or 67 Beselers.

jss
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J. Collier
    I have more or less settled on the Bessler printmaker 67. I figure I can do all the 35mm work I want to right now and also have the option to enlarge medium format as well. I really only have a budget of no more than 2 or 3 hundred dollars and the printmaker seems to be the best.
    have you checked out craigslist? do a forsale search for darkroom or beseler. i've seen a number of darkroom sets on there. you can also check out local swap meets. i think the hayward camera show is coming up (i can re-post with info when i get home).. a friend of mine came home with arms full of free stuff from the hayward show.. trays, graduated cylinders, development tank for 35mm, etc. i'd check over free/cheap avenues first, with "everything going digital" these days. k+s in palo also has used darkroom stuff, although a bit pricey. that's where i got my beseler 23iic.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    As the others suggested you can get a much better enlarger for the same or less used. I picked up a Saunders D6700 on ebay for $200 (probably overpaid) but I am happy with it. Because it is a color enlarger it allows me to make infinite contrast adjustments printing B&W on VC paper. There are plenty of other enlargers out there because people are dumping them to go digital.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr bob
    Hello and welcome.

Like you, I was out of the fine art business while raising a family. When I decided to get back with it, a 67C came to me at a bargain price for the time, circ 1989. Since then I have obtained an old (read ancient) Omega DII upon which I work from 35mm thru 5x4.

The Beseler is great for 35mm thru 6x7. It has limitations such as the lens mounting system and adjustment limitations, Both can be overcome with some inginuity. I can recommend the Beseler with a good lens for a starter.

However I think you would be much better off getting a 4x5 Omega or Beseler (or Durst or phillips or ...., depending on $). They really don't cost all that much more and there will come a time when monkeying around with a 67 (or 23) to obtain a given result will become tiresome. The space required for my Omega is not much larger than the 67C and the selection of lenses, mounts, and carriers (on E--y) is so much greater - especially now.

Having said that and wrecked my chance for a sale, I have an almost mint 67C I can let go. Unfortunantly the cost of shipping almost exceeds the worth of the item, but if you are interested in a pick-up or delivery within the Wash-Balt-Annap area, let me know.
    Sorry, unfortunately I am not on the east coast. Thank you very much for the offer though. I think that I am going to try and find an enlarger locally rather than have it shipped because like you said it would basically cost an arm and a leg to ship. I was at a shop today and they had an Omega DII, it looked very interesting. I liked the all in one (small to large format) setup. Well if you have anymore opinions or insights on the Omega let me know. Thanks.
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=2]"We are not at War, we are having a nervous breakdown". Hunter S. Thompson[/SIZE][/COLOR]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin