Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,857   Online: 906

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If they are very faint and on the base then you may have nothing to worry about. I noticed a few scratches on my 35mm film base and thought they would be ruined. I printed them with a diffusion enlarger and could not find any problem with the prints. Good luck.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    On the base side, worry not unless you really see something on the print. Use a low f/stop in the enlarger as another possible correction if you do see something.

It might not be your camera. Did you use a wetting agent? Did you squeegee the film when drying? Did you filter ALL of the water, even the wash water? Like with a real filter, not just one of those wire meshes? Unless something exceptional happened I would not suspect the reels.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I took a roll out that was in the camera mid-roll and sure enough there they were but when taking out fresh film from the roll they were not there.
    Looks like Sean already located the source of the problem - it is either the camera (most likely) or the film canister (see above quote). Seems like there was another thread this past week and someone suggested using a pair of hose to located any burr, etc. Sounds like the best solution.

Sean, are the scratches always in the same place on the negative. Since it is on the base and not emulsion side, that gives you a place to look - somewhere on the camera back from the roll to the take up spool. Where were they in relationship to the film when the back was open. I think you have already found it, you just don't know it yet.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas
    If you were shooting in a dusty environment you may have gotten dirt into the felt of the cassete when changing film. If you also remove the film for developing by pulling the leader out instead of popping the cassette it would compound the problem.Tell me, is this factory loads or bulk loaded film? You need to clean the cassettes occasionally for the bulk loads and toss them when they get rough looking. I've also seen cheap cassetes get a fine bit of rust inside them and make scratches.
    Aother boo boo I've done is to forget to open the gate on the reloader when I start winding the film in. Talk about scratches!
    Hi Gary, I am overly protective with camera and film, I'm going to have another look at the camera and see what I can find. It's also factory loaded 24exp rolls

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Well my water is rainwater and filtered through a 1micron filter so I think it's ok. In the past I've always wet my fingers with a little wetting agent and squeegeed the film that way, and at first I thought maybe that did it, but after looking at the roll of film that was currently in progress I could see scratches so I'm pretty sure it's the camera. Some good news is that the scratches did not show in the film scans, usually when they show in my scans I know they'll show on the print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Are you bulk-rolling? Could also be your loader.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    na, just 24exp factory rolls of tri-x

Nose oil (as already said). It works better than it sounds.
    sergio caetano

Images
    Skin oil has been my usual cure for such catastrophes. Wipe it across the scratch with a thumb, but don't leave fingerprints. The side of your nose or behind your ear works as a source.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hmm, how do you wipe oil from your skin to the neg without leaving smudges or fingerprints?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin