Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,516   Posts: 1,543,736   Online: 876

Images

Experiences with Meopta Magnifax enlarger?

I'm still shopping around for a new enlarger, and have gotten interested in the Meopta Magnifax. I've read some glowing reviews, and it certainly has some unique and seemingly well thought out features: perspective correction, built in ND filters, true 6x9 coverage, and a rangefinder focus device that is claimed can eliminate the need for a grain focuser.

They're hard to come by here in the USA, but can be ordered directly from Meopta. The price is right: I could get the condenser head model, plus a multigrade diffusion head, for about $850.00 USD delivered.

Thoughts? Experiences?

I had settled on a Durst M670, but the prices for accessories and various doodads for it are obscene. A fine piece of gear, I'm sure, but still......
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have bought Magnifax 4 in 1988 and it was great deal. It's huge, robust and exact machine. JK

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I've had a Magnifax 4 with colour head for a few years now and they are great. I don't think you can go wrong there - well priced, reliable, robust and covers most medium formats.

Not sure about the rangefinder focus though - mine doesn't seem to have one, or maybe I am missing something?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapper
    I've had a Magnifax 4 with colour head for a few years now and they are great. I don't think you can go wrong there - well priced, reliable, robust and covers most medium formats.

Not sure about the rangefinder focus though - mine doesn't seem to have one, or maybe I am missing something?
    If it's like mine (I have Magnifax 3, an older model), you just pull the neg. carrier halfway out, and then on the baseboard you'll see a projected bright line. Focus until the line is straight (unbroken). It's a bit difficult to explain without a pic. You could try www.meopta.cz - they have some manuals online, and I think the manuals have photos of this "gizmo".
    Surprisingly, this fosucing method works quite well.

Denis

Shooter
    Multi Format

meopta

Doug:
    Since you're in the states, yu'll really want to make sure you accumulate ALL the accessories you'll ever need for this creature. I'm sure it's a fine machine but in the future any parts will become hard to come by. As an example try finding accessories for a 10 year old Durst.
    Just a cautionary note.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin