Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,183   Online: 1171

Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

How many of you print full-frame?

For clarification, I'm talking full-frame with the black box film base surrounding the image .. as opposed to a cropping/non-cropping discussion.

I used to always print my 35mm full frame. Then I stopped for awhile. Now that I have a glass 4x5 neg carrier, I can print even my MF negs full frame. Haven't really gotten back into it yet, mostly due to my current darkroom setup being fairly new to me and I'm just now settling into a routine.

For me, full-frame began as "proof of total negative" - that philosophy that composition, whether deliberate or accidental, should occur in the camera. Even though I still don't crop my negs (only enlarge certain parts of a neg) - I'm also not so dedicated to that philosophy anymore. However, I still like the aesthetics of the black-box when viewing others work.

These days I find it more appealing in smaller work, rather than huge prints.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It depends.

I usually leave room to crop. It can sometimes be a challenge to get full frame on some sizes of paper, unless, of course the borders are such that enough room is made to make a full frame print. I do like making square photographs from medium format, perhaps it's because I'm a little goofy & square!
    Last edited by wclark5179; 05-23-2010 at 09:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wclark5179 View Post
    It depends.

It can sometimes be a challenge to get full frame on some sizes of paper
    I'm not sure what you mean ... with a 4 bladed easel you can print any size on any paper?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In 99% of time I print full frame. I like to limit myself with full frame print, B&W only and not using zoom lenses (it works better for me).
    But this is just for me - > I am not saying everyone should do this .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 5stringdeath View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean ... with a 4 bladed easel you can print any size on any paper?
    I usually print w/o borders.

Maybe it's just me but try getting full frame printed on to an 8x10 paper covering all the paper w/o cropping. I imagine it can be done when using 8x10 film! Agree with you it can be done by adjusting your easel, then more white is exposed on at lerast two of the sides.

Did I help? Sorry for the confusion.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Some styles suit...like this guy's work http://sechsmalsechs.blogspot.com/ ...other do not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I print mostly full frame. I compose most shots looking edge to edge on my viewfinder and try to get balance with my negative space. A writer once said two words should eliminated from language...always and never

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, printing some or all of the film rebate can quickly become a cliché. On the other hand, it sets a certain mark for using the traditional darkroom. Then again, I'm sure there's a Photoshop action for that. But then, my Nikon prints exposure data between the negatives, that'd be difficult to imitate. Hmm ...
    Ok, I've decided that I find it pretentious. But I confess I have done it in the past ;-)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    IF you shoot 6x7(cm) negs, you can print an 8x10 without cropping. That's why 6x7 is called "the ideal format".
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This discussion isn't really about cropping / paper sizes ... that's been covered well elsewhere.

I mean you can print a 5x7 full frame image on a 16x20 piece of paper if you want to.

I'm interested in more philosophical thoughts on the issue rather than if a certain format fits on a certain paper. That's irrelevant.

Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin