Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,149   Online: 897

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I just got one of those omega c700 enlargers for super cheap, though it's still at my friends house and I havn't actually seen it yet. From what I read in reviews online, you can reverse the pillar or head or something and print on the floor for larger prints up to 16X20.

a lot of people are using filters on it and also a few mentioned heat absorbing glass.

heres one page of reviews, but I found pretty much the same thing repeated on other sites:

http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...6_3129crx.aspx

Shooter
    Large Format
    i think i hate all enlargers, big bulky and annoying

give me a big neg and a contact frame any day

throw in some salt and s nitrate and your all set to go

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Part of the problem is the Beseler Printmaker 35. It was never intended for enlarging beyond 8x10. The permanently affixed lens is nothing to get excited over to begin with. The Omega is a better enlarger, and should give you better results, but again, it's no D-series. Given how cheap the big boy enlargers are now, unless you don't have the space for one, there's no excuse for not getting a Beseler 23C or 45M series, or an Omega D series enlarger.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    True dat ... I got my Omega 5D-XL with Dichroic head for $50 off local CL. If you want to print large, you should get an enlarger with a solid base and column. That said, I don't see why you'd get such falloff from the c700 at 11x14.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Which aperture? Even the best 50mm lenses will have measurable fallof a big manification ratios at f8 (see Rodagon and Componon data on the appropriate websites). So a 'lesser' lens is going to likely be worse.
    Condenser 'recommendations' are just that. Feel free to mix and match the condensers to get an even image; especially when using the enlarger at the limits of magnification (both high and low).

When dong high magnification, it is wise to check that the image circe is exactly centered on the negative, and that the light source is exactly centered also.

Shooter
    35mm
    Another thought: Try opening the enlarger up (as much as its design permits) and clean everything. Use common sense on how you clean, of course -- use lens cleaner on condensers, for instance, not scouring powder!

It's also conceivable, albeit unlikely, that you've got two bum lenses. If you can find somebody locally from whom you could borrow a lens, that might be worth trying. Alternatively, if you've got ~50mm M39 camera lenses, you could try one of them and see if it does any better.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have to wonder whether the correct bulb is in there. If it is a regular incandescent rather than an enlarger bulb, there will be a hot spot in the middle (or fall off at the edges depending on your viewpoint). If it is the right bulb, try setting the condensers at the medium format setting and see whether that helps. If it is still a problem, I'd suspect some mechanical shading below the condensers. Slightly off topic... I once installed a new bulb and I noticed a strange pattern on the print....the bulb was stamped with the type on the top. I removed the stamp with alcohol and fixed the problem

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I spent last night doing some measurements and verification. On the Omega, the center of the light reads 1 full stop higher than the corners. I can get a decent enough print with dodging.

The real surprise was when I fired up the Beseler, which had been in retirement since I received the Omega for Christmas last year. The Beseler, using the medium format condensors, makes a perfectly even light rectangle with the 35mm holder in place. No deviation in light reading from corner to center.

I verified again that the LPL lens can't make a full 11x14 print on the Omega. It does however, make a fine 11x14 on the Beseler.

So I guess I'm going back to the Beseler. The real question is, how can I fix the Omega? I mean, it should work, with the LPL lens, and not have the light falloff.

IIRC Correctly neither company has a web presence. I have no clue how to contact technical support.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I suspect if you're having that big a falloff with the Omega that the condensers are not properly configured.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder if you even have the correct condenser....?? I am assuming you bought both enlargers used from someone else. I don't know about C700 but with PM35 and many other enlargers I know, condenser lens aren't secured very well. It is not unthinkable to drop one and damage it, then put something else and sell it off....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin