Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,897   Posts: 1,521,013   Online: 809

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

I hate my enlarger(s)

I have to admit it. I hate both of my enlargers. Omega C700 and Beseler Printmaker 35 with Medium Format kit. Both enlargers have significant light falloff around the edges when printing 11x14. The Omega, with the 50mm LPL lens on it, can't make a full 11x14 print even at maximum head height. I have to use my Rodenstock 50mm lens to get full 11x14.

Any advice to either cure light falloff, or recommedations for what to buy to do 11x14 prints?
    Last edited by Wolfeye; 06-15-2010 at 08:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not familiar with either of these models, but have used over the years many enlargers by these two companies. I find it difficult to believe that either of them would make an enlarger with as much light fall-off as you describe, at any enlargement size. Is it possible that your condenser arrangement is not set up properly?

Shooter
    35mm
    What format are you using? If you're printing medium format with a 50mm lens, that could be the problem; most 50mm enlarger lenses are designed for 35mm negatives, and will produce falloff much as you describe when printing MF negatives.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Collier View Post
    I'm not familiar with either of these models, but have used over the years many enlargers by these two companies. I find it difficult to believe that either of them would make an enlarger with as much light fall-off as you describe, at any enlargement size. Is it possible that your condenser arrangement is not set up properly?
    Condensors. I agree. Or the wrong mixing box, if it has one.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by George Collier View Post
    I believe the condensers are set up properly. All I can say for sure is that I was printing last night and every print has seriously lighter corners and edges. The corners are pretty bad. The negative in question is a 35mm negative. If you look in my gallery for the "bubble chaser" image you'll see what I was trying to print. The negative isn't perfect but the scan came out ok. I'm just trying to get something similar to the scan, printed.

Maddening!
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You fail to mention negative size you are trying to enlarge. If you are attempting 6x6 or larger with a 50mm lens, then sure, you are going to get significant light fall-off. If you are blowing up 35mm, then there are other problems. I have four C-700 Omegas, and use them for 35mm up to 6x7 with the appropriate lens, without any problems.I have no experience with the Beseler, but my gut feeling is(since you mention med format kit) you need a longer focal length lens. I use a 90mm for 6x6-6x7 format, tho an 80mm will work well for 645 and 6x6. Some high quality 80mm's will cover 6x7 without fall-off. The great point about the Omega C-700 is you never have to adjust the condensors to change format, only the lens.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a PM35 without MF kit and it doesn't produce dark corners. This model really was designed for 8x10 prints. If you are printing 11x17, you are really pushing its limit.

One curious thing is, you can make certain print on one lens but not the other with the same focal length. Do you get dark corners on both? Are you using the correct light bulb? PM35 uses much smaller bulb than usual. They are both good enlargers with long history. What's common between the two? Lens?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    I've got the Omega C-760 enlarger and recently printed my first medium format print with it (6x6 format). For my first few prints I experienced significant light fall-off. It turned out to be due to the fact that I was using the 35mm mixing chamber. After swapping that out for the 6x7 mixing chamber my issue was resolved. I should note as well that I used the 90mm for printing 6x6.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I have a PM35 without MF kit and it doesn't produce dark corners. This model really was designed for 8x10 prints. If you are printing 11x17, you are really pushing its limit.

One curious thing is, you can make certain print on one lens but not the other with the same focal length. Do you get dark corners on both? Are you using the correct light bulb? PM35 uses much smaller bulb than usual. They are both good enlargers with long history. What's common between the two? Lens?
    I was using the Omega last night. I have two 50mm lenses. One Rodenstock, one LPL. If I put the LPL lens on, I can't get the projected image 11 inches tall. 10.8 or so. Enough to leave a white edge. If I switch to the Rodenstock I can now print the 11 inches tall.

What's common? The idiot using them!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    enlargers can be easely adapted and modified to suit your needs, i had some strange meopta models going from a disaster to perfection by adding some black cardboard and some aluminium reflective tape, or just by aligning them.
    vive la resistance!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin