Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,030   Online: 758

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I opted for a Durst L1200 with Multigraph head (computerised VC with exposure and grade analysis). I paid $1600 for it together with all mixing boxes for 35mm through to 5x4 and negatives carriers from 35mm to 5x4. Not the most intuative piece of kit available and if you use a large variety of papers you will need the settings data for each one. Up to 5 different papers can be programmed at any one time. The chassis is very well made with tensator spring height adjustment fine focus and a focussing extension arm. On reflection If you opted for a durst I would go for the colour headed version.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi David
    I use four different types of enlargers here in our shop and my vote for simplicity of use is the omega variety. ( We lazer align each month the enlargers and the omegas are by far the easiest to re -align. For starting out in your new darkroom I would consider this.
    I do agree with some of the posts that the Durst is a better enlarger, very well put together and robust, but I find the omegas more accesable and easy to use with a large variety of printing techniques.
    If you plan to set the enlarger up and never move it , and if you have a standard way of printing that you like then buy a durst.(it is extremely solid)
    Both of these enlargers are being given away from the large photo labs, now is the time to approach the lab owners and offer to take them away. If you promise to give the enlarger a good home you will find it easy to get a very good deal on a variety of enlarging gear.
    Bob Carnie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan
    I use a DeVere 504, theres one in your area on eBay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...829415154&rd=1

Thats expensive, they are selling for less than £400, approx 600euros here in the UK. They occasionaly go for more on Ebay as people don't realise what they are really worth.

I'm about to replace or mothball my 50+ yr old Johnsons 5"x4" with a DeVere with a closed loop head for less than £400 and there's plenty being taken out of professional labs all over the UK many being skipped.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    Thats expensive, they are selling for less than £400, approx 600euros here in the UK. They occasionaly go for more on Ebay as people don't realise what they are really worth.
    I agree, that particular one didnt sell. I bought mine from ebay from a seller that failed to sell his after listing it 3 times. I asked him a question about weight during the first offering and had his email address. I watched him fail to sell and then made him an offer, he relisted it with a buy now at the agreed price £600 [totally mint 504+multigrade head+4schnider lenses+accessories]
    It only cost €105 to ship to Ireland.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just bought a Devere 504 on eBay for £250 including the whole darkroom, 5 lenses, thousands of sheets of paper and the Darkroom sink! So they can be picked up cheaper than that one.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had a Beseler 23c III with a Dichro head and kept it for 4 days, then sent it back to the place I purchased it. It was absolutely junk, and after talking with a very friendly gentleman at Beseler, I was happy I sent it back. I'm just sorry that I had ordered it to start with! I am waiting on a new Saunders/LPL 4550 XLG with the Dichro head. Hopefully it will be much better.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin