Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,673   Online: 798

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Taming condensers

So I just got a condenser enlarger (Omega D2V); won't have it set up for a while but am musing on things.

I much preferred using a cold light head back when I was last printing. Just liked the fact that it cut down on the visibility of dust, marks, and any other flaws, and seemed to print better with the negatives I was making at the time. I know the best thing for me to get would probably be a dichro head. Will look for one on Ebay, etc. once I'm back in the States.

But I do recall an old photo teacher of mine putting tracing paper and translucent glass between or under the condensers on different enlargers; called it the "poor man's Aristo." And I saw Glennview is selling a domed plastic disc to accomplish the same thing while supposedly keeping illumination more even.

Anyone using such fixes to make the light a little less harsh with their condenser enlargers? I can't comment on how well it worked back in high school, since I wouldn't have known what a good print was if it hit me in the face. And with the $100 price tag for the Glennview disc, seems a little crazy not to just get the dichro head if/when I can find one cheap. but I figured I might as well ask, if only to do my small part in keeping inane discussion alive online.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used rice paper under my condensors before, just make sure there isn't a watermark on the paper to project through. It works, but its personal preference if you want to do it or not once you see the results.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I have used the tracing paper method, but I personally prefer the condencers on their own, I find I get better contrast and a sharper print,but I guess it is all a matter of personal preferance,Richard

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    or you could look for a used cold light head for your Omega. I fitted a new Aristo to mine and have not looked back. I hear that Aristo is no longer making them, but some might be found on the used market.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I cut a round frosted glass to fit on top of the Omega B-22 internal fillter drawer. Reduced the illumination intensity which allowed printing in the 12-18 sec range at f/4 or 5.6 while reducing contrast by just under 1 grade.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Milk glass.

Or compensate for the added contrast at the film developing stage.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Let me see, a diffusion head suppresses dust and scratches and does not harm fine detail. I wonder how this can be.

Rubish.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    Let me see, a diffusion head suppresses dust and scratches and does not harm fine detail. I wonder how this can be.

Rubish.
    Most (if not all) modern condenser enlargers use diffuse lamps so a aren't "point source" condenser enlargers which increase contrast and enhance detail.

However the dichroic heads with mixer box diffusers do tend to suppress dust and scratches because the light is diffused closer to the top of the negative as opposed to before the condensers in the bulb.

The result is no discernible drop in image fine detail along with better suppression of dust and scratches on the top, non emulsion side.

Having Durst's with condenser & diffuser heads there was only a slight drop in contrast with the colour head, and dust was definitely suppressed and you can't tell which head a print was made with as the detail is the same.

However modifying an enlarger to give extra diffusion may well alter contrast.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AgentX: The source of light doesn't matter. You can make an excellent diffusion enlarger by laying a sheet of white, translucent plastic on top of the negative carrier.

The Glennview product looks really good, but you can decide if you like the effect a diffusion head has by laying a piece of drawing vellum, rosco 'tough rolux' diffusion media (lighting supppy store/video/theatrical supply), or even white printer paper.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Yeah, what Ian said. Diffusion illumination produces more detail than we can ever see in a print. Don't believe me, go sniff grain at an Ansel Adams show. Diffusion heads have the same contrast as contact printing with a light bulb, like Weston did.

In areas of technical photography where the highest possible contrast was more important than transferring all the data from the negative, point source lighting was popular. Not because diffusion heads couldn't make prints with high definition, but because special needs are, well, special.

The cool thing about science is that you can try it for yourself.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin