Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,107   Online: 852

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Negs: single or strip?

Are there advantages/disadvantages to having your negatives (6x6) in strips of 3-4 as opposed to being cut into individual pieces when using them in an enlarger? Thanks
    Ted
    Last edited by Theo43; 06-20-2010 at 09:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is a lot easier to handle strips than single frames. Unless you are using sheet film, I can't see a good reason for single frames. Typically one would keep 35mm in groups of 6, 120 in anything from 1 (6x12), 2 (6x9), 3 (6x7,6x6) and 4 (6x4.5). If I have less than a set I include some unexposed film to make the strip as long as possible. The lengths are really dictated by the size of a filing sheet, and the ease of contact printing a single film on something around 8x10" paper.

A single frame is easier to drop, harder to handle without getting finger prints on the film, and much harder to align in the negative carrier.

I would not keep roll film in one uncut roll either. That is guaranteed to cause scratches and the roll is hard to control.

If you already have single frames, that's what you have. But I would consider using strips in the future.

-Graham
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I use glass carriers and prefer single negatives, easier to handle and clean, as well organize later in a sleeve with all the other winners.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, if you have a 5x7 enlarger you can enlarge 3 negatives at once

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohblah View Post
    Yes, if you have a 5x7 enlarger you can enlarge 3 negatives at once
    You can have a 10x8 enlarger and enlarge the entire film

Ian

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    you could also put a single frame in a slide film holder for easier use; however, this also means a special negative holder
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    you could also put a single frame in a slide film holder for easier use; however, this also means a special negative holder
    I actually considered doing that with 35mm (I have the holder), but since 95% of my stuff is now 120, it sorta never happened.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like to keep my life simple. By keeping my 120 negs in strips. There's more work in cutting the negs into individual frames, file and store them. If you have a curly neg, it's easier to put in a carrier for enlargement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    135 in strips of 6
    120 6x6 in strips of 4
    Sheet film individually

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unlike Bob Carnie I find printing negatives cut individually a real pain, the neg carriers for my Dursts and De Vere are far easier to use with strips, and i don't like glass in the carriers, well at least not the top part. But it's what suits you. Neg file availability dictates 4 strips of 3 frames for 6x6.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin