Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,385   Online: 981

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ektalure...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Really doubt it was inadequate fixing that is causing your fog. I have been hoarding this paper for a while, and it seems to be a crapshoot as to what is fogged and what isn't. Of course, I have no clue how many dank basements or steamy attics the stuff has been stored in. As far as the extended fixing times: two-baths of film strength fixer, 30 seconds each, has always been sufficient.

Your paper might be worthless for conventional processing, but it will still work very well with lith processing. If B&W is something you will be doing for a while, I would put it back in the freezer in hopes that someday you discover lith.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As an update, I decided to make a few lith prints with this paper earlier this week. Addition of benzotriazole and exposure times around 30 seconds at f/2.8 gave outstanding results - clean whites, very good blacks - and it's absolutely beautiful in selenium. I did get an extremely gritty pattern of what looks like fog in some areas, which was at first a mild nuisance, but it lends itself to certain night scenes on pushed Tri-X and TMZ. Which happens to describe most of my negatives. Thanks, all!
    Tristan Garrett
    If it ain't black and white, peck, scratch and bite.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did get an extremely gritty pattern of what looks like fog...

Did you get this only with the lith process ?
    Large qty of Benzo can do this with stubborn fog...

What does it look like... ?
    I might be describing something different with the benz.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah; with a regular process, I got complete and uniform gray in under one minute. I can't describe it very well but I'll scan in a print when I have time in the next few days and post it here.
    Tristan Garrett
    If it ain't black and white, peck, scratch and bite.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dangeresque View Post
    I'll scan in a print when I have time in the next few days and post it here.
    OK...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Resurrecting an old old thread to keep the topic in one place. Like the OP, I've some old Ektlure and printed some and saw some fog, so I've added 30ml of a 1% solution of benzotriazole (BZT) to my 1L of print dev. Thought since this is a photo site, thought I'd add a picture of the outcome in case anyone is wondering how BTZ impacts Ektlure FB. Below I have a photo of a standard MGIV FB glossy, w/o benzotriazole and with benzotriazole. It does make a bit of difference and a long fix (5 mins in a rapid fix sure helped too).

Fun paper! Love its texture and feel!

(Left - ref print, MGIV FB glossy, top no-BZT, bottom BZT):

(Left - ref print, MGIV FB glossy, top no-BZT, bottom BZT):

(Left - no-BTZ, Right BZT):

Edit - Here is (Left - ref print, MGIV FB glossy, top right no-BZT, middle right BZT, bottom BZT and 2 grams potassium bromide) - had to double exposure after it was added since print got much lighter but gosh - the fog is gone and the paper is nice n cream!!!):

Question - Is there anyway to cool this? Say KRST 1:40 or I guess gold toner?
    Last edited by zsas; 04-03-2013 at 10:39 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Add another pic and question
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Let us have a moment's silence for all the great Kodak papers that are forever lost.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ^Agree

Update, now they are nice n dry, I took a quick pic of them all, left to right:
    Ref print MGIV FB glossy, Ektalure GD lustre straight print, Ektalure GD lustre with BZT (30ml of a 1% sol added to 1L of Liquidol), Ektalure GD lustre with BZT and 2 grams of potassium bromide:

Andy

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by noacronym View Post
    I still wonder why Kodak discontinued paper in the 90's before there was any such thing as a digital camera.
    By paper, do you mean Ektalure, or all B&W papers? B&W papers weren't discontinued altogether by Kodak until the mid 2000s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Excellent examples, Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    ^Agree

Update, now they are nice n dry, I took a quick pic of them all, left to right:
    Ref print MGIV FB glossy, Ektalure GD lustre straight print, Ektalure GD lustre with BZT (30ml of a 1% sol added to 1L of Liquidol), Ektalure GD lustre with BZT and 2 grams of potassium bromide:

"Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin