Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,981   Online: 945

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Contrast masking

Hi everyone, is it possible/feasible to make contrast masks in 35mm for enlarging? Among other problems, I'm not sure how you could get the registration precise enough. But has anyone experimented with this?

Thanks
    Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I never tried it in less than 4x5, but give it a try and post your results!

Shooter
    35mm
    Perhaps someone could make registration pins that have the shape of the perforation. That would simplify things, wouldn't it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never done it in less than 4x5 either. It seems like given the high degree of enlargement it would be extremely difficult to get this to work. But I have some brutal 35mm negatives (night shots with light sources in frame) that I mistakenly gave normal development instead of compensating development. Luckily, I've been able to make fine prints with alot of work, but the printing acrobatics involved made me wonder if there is anything further I can do to simplify and improve repeatability. I had always considered masking to be pretty much out of the question in 35mm, but perhaps it is worth an experiment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Enlarge your negative first? Kind of a pain but it would make things easier afterwards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never considered enlarging a 35mm negative before. Maybe that would help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Geeze,,, Didn't we make paper negatives to do this kind of thing with back in the day? you're stretching my brain...
    Seems like we also used 4x5 lith film in a soft developer to build an internegative... big bloches in my memory...

don't forget the sub-forum that shal not be mentioned. there are a couple of dry steps that could be added to get back to a more printable negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just thought I'd experiment...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For this you would almost certainly want to get a pin register setup. Alistair Inglis makes one that works very well. However I haven't tried it for 35mm. Works well for medium format and 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just re-read my comment,,, wasn't meant to be that way,,, Was meant,,, Geeze,,, I seem to remember somewhere in the (yes, i inhaled) late 60's doing that sort of thing........

Sorry about that. Not the first time I've tasted my toes,,, won't be the last

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin