Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,667   Posts: 1,481,717   Online: 802

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never understood the 6 surface problem though. If you clean the negative and the surfaces of the glass that make contact with the negative, and then immediately make the sandwich, no dust should get in there afterward. So you're just left with the two exposed glass surfaces to collect dust while printing. Right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's still 6 surfaces that need to be checked for dust and cleaned, and it can be a real PITA. There's always dust flying around unless you're working in a "clean room." Stuff that you can't see becomes very objectionable once enlarged. Better get good with spotting dyes and brushes.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess I'll have to build a clean room. I hate spotting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's really bad on those windy dry days when the air is full of static. Maybe one of those air ionizers will help? Also nothing beats cleaning your enlarging station with feather duster. I especially clean around the negative stage on my enlarger. If you have a little static on your neg, any dust from the negative carrier stage will jump on to you neg. A little cleaning means a lot less spotting of prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agreed. I have to honestly say dust spots have never been a major issue for me. Actually I rarely need to spot my prints. I keep the enlarger and the area around it meticulously clean by dusting and vaccuming often and I keep my negatives clean. So usually after I load a negative into the carrier, a quick blast of compressed air to clear the surfaces is all I need. I'm assuming it will be more difficult with glass surfaces but hopefully I can still get some spotless prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nothing quite that elaborate is necessary. Simply adding some humidity to the air goes a long way in eliminating static. Hang a couple of wet towels in the darkroom. As they dry, the humidity of the room will go up. This isn't a problem now though. In winter it is.
    Frank Schifano

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin