Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,462   Posts: 1,570,644   Online: 826

Shooter
    Multi Format

Using 6x6 neg carrier for 645 negs

I've been wondering about this for a while....

I use Omega D-II with a 6x6 neg carrier to do 645 films. (I don't own 645 carriers) I don't use any masks or anything to cover the blank area. My reasoning is, since I use easel and never print film borders, it wouldn't make any difference. I've never experienced any obvious problems either. I also reasoned, this is more like having HUGE shadow area on both side of 6x6....

Is there a reason why many folks here recommend making mask to do such thing? What am I missing?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Those "HUGE shadow areas" are HUGE pools of light that will bounce off anything they hit, and when that light eventually reaches the image portion on your paper, it will lower contrast.

Shooter
    35mm
    If the carriers are glassless, a 645 carrier/insert may also help keep the negative a bit flatter.

That said, I'm skeptical that either of these issues would have much of an effect except in extreme conditions. You could test for the reflectivity effect by jury-rigging a mask out of cardboard or something and doing prints with and without it and see if you can tell the difference. I can't think of any way to test the effects of negative flatness except to obtain an appropriate carrier/insert.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wouldn't worry about it if you are happy with your prints. On the other hand, neg carriers can be had cheap if you are patient. Get the proper carrier when available. The right tool for the job and all that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did the same for years and later, when I could afford it, purchase the right carrier. Now, everything is so much more affordable with a huge used market.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

A bit of electrical tape to mask down the unused areas to keep light from bouncing around

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

printing 645 on 6x6 carrier

This is what I have to do at my university darkroom and haven't noticed any problems.
    Follow the Light John 8:12
    ~~~PhotoBob

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    If you don't mask the 6x6 glassless neg carrier you get spill over on the enlarging paper which is similar to fog/low contrast. Masking down to 645 with black tape of cardboard works.
    RJ

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin