Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,529   Online: 839

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 Enlarger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

4x5 Enlarger

I want to buy a 4x5 enlarger. It is the only enlarger I intend to invest in for a while. What would be a good make and configuration to buy? I have never used an enlarger before - till now my prints have been from scanned negatives.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

Ashok

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    De Vere are particularly good, probably the best available in any country, the 504 is a good model parts still available and still made, and Durst 138'sare close in terms of quality as well (make sure it's a 5x4 model). This page gives you an idea of what they are like, rather expensive now new, but there have been a lot second-hand..

With either a colour head will allow you to use Variable Contrast papers or colour papers. A cheaper slightly less robust alternative is the LPL 5x4 (sold as a Saunders in the US).

Weight is you major problem so shipping from abroad would be very expensive but I'm sure just like everywhere else Pro labs in India will be changing getting rid of surplus equipment.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 07-21-2010 at 05:11 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add link

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

Ashok

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I would look at the Beseler brand as well. They are workhorses. If you can find a 45v-xl, it would last you and your progeny a lifetime. I have tried to eliminate the omegas from the line up as they have parts that need replacing after time. Parts that can't be found. I have had a couple of beselers that have worked without fail for way over 30 years.

Consider the 45mx as well. Not as sexy, but a very good enlarger.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Beseler is very good if available, also Durst, which I would think is more available outside the USA.

Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I agree with all the above comments but would like to add another consideration - long term reliability

I bought the most simple mechanical Enlarger I could find (a DeVere 504 Mk4) - as there is far less to go wrong than with the more advanced models with electric microdrives and microprocessor controllers.

I intend to keep my Enlarger for decades to come and the simple mechanics of the DeVere appealed to me - there is so little to go wrong.

Just my $0.02

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure what brands available in India, but any brand 4x5 enlarger within driving distance should be good (assuming it works and has enough extra parts to make a print). The 4x5 enlargers usually were NOT economy models so most should be well built.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Ashok

just about eny enlarger brand will work - I've used De Vere, Chromega, Bessler, Durst, Meopta, Polaroid, LPL over the years as a professinal printer - all are capable of godd results.

You didn't mention if you would be printing 35mm negs? If you are make sure you get the correct condensors/mixing boxes - otherwise your print times will be very long..

Regardless ow which enlarger you get (the brand doesn't really matter) - get a good lens

The lens matters

Cheers

Andrew
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
    You didn't mention if you would be printing 35mm negs? If you are make sure you get the correct condensors/mixing boxes - otherwise your print times will be very long..

Regardless ow which enlarger you get (the brand doesn't really matter) - get a good lens

The lens matters
    Hi Andrew,

Thanks. I don't intend to develop 35mm. Intend to print medium and large format only.

Ashok

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone.

Ashok

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin