Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,011   Online: 848

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There's one way around all this. If one would like to reduce intermittency, but not to its entirety, then follow Matt's advice. If you make a test strip at f/8 exposing 32-16-8-4-2-1-1. You could expose at f/16 for 128-64-32-16-8-4-4. At the longer times the amount of affectation on the halides would be the same, however much less noticeable.

Given that this would be a stupidly long exposure time to make a test print, don't do it.

Ralph is pointing out information to get the OP down the correct path to learning about his topic if questioning.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Cut me some slack here. I referenced that article for the OP so he could read up on the intermittency effect, but I never claimed that this effect has anything to do with lamp warm-up. They are totally unrelated.
    Didn't mean to imply that you said it. It was just in the reference you cited - where the author seems to be quite confused as what he talks about is lamp warm-up though he calls it intermittency.

There are, as you state, many, many factors to account for. A stabilized LED source can be timed very accurately and would let one explore the issue in more depth. But frankly, if adding 50mSec to the exposure time makes the problem go away that's about all the effort that needs to expended at this time.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    ... But frankly, if adding 50mSec to the exposure time makes the problem go away that's about all the effort that needs to expended at this time.
    Nicholas

Now you've got me going. I'm currently setting up my equipment to measure the light ramp-up/down of my Durst L1200 halogen bulb.

There is no stopping me now!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    So 2.05 + 2.05 = 4.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    So 2.05 + 2.05 = 4.
    For sufficiently large values of 4.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    people, please calm down, ansel used a metronomer. do some test strips. experience is useful. i never found enlarger delays very problematic, keep times a bit longer than 20 secs. keep it simple you will need the energy in your legs and your mind not to give up printing after 6 hours in the lab
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ruilourosa View Post
    people, please calm down, ansel used a metronomer. do some test strips. experience is useful. i never found enlarger delays very problematic, keep times a bit longer than 20 secs. keep it simple you will need the energy in your legs and your mind not to give up printing after 6 hours in the lab
    Don't worry; we're calm. Nevertheless, timer delay can be a problem when doing test strips ala Fred Picker.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin