Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,235   Online: 844

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Score(!) and a question about glass carriers.

Well there are some benes to being one of the few that shoot film in a photo-club.

I just got a Saunders/LPL 670 dxl and a Jobo CPA2 with lift and a darkroom sink and various and sundry accessories... Free.

I about fell over when the deal came up.

The guy used the kit for making Ciba-Chromes from mounted 35mm slides.

The only thing the enlarger lacks for me, is the carriers for 6x6, 6x7 and 35mm negs.

So in poking about I have found carriers specifically made for each film around on the net.

I also found a universal glass carrier with 4 bladed masking. It's not cheap but compared to three plain carriers it's reasonable.

So on to my question: are there any downsides/upsides to glass carriers?

Dust I'd guess is one problem.

Flatness is probably a positive.

What are your thoughts?
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You lucky Bas--fisherman!!! I used to use a glass universal, but you are correct, dust was more of a nuisance than with regular carriers, but very convenient. You will just have to be tidier in the future if you use a glass carrier. Flatness is better on larger negatives, but when you stop the lens down it doesn't really matter. Bottom line for me would be cost of purchase and shipping, I'm a cheap-skate.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post

You got it in two.

And while it is not as much of a factor with MF as it is with LF, its still worthwhile learning how to deal with the dust to take advantage of the flatness. Your prints will love you for it.

Cheers

Carey Bird
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~cbird/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You got it. Dust and possibly Newton rings if you are unlucky.

If you have a condenser enlarger it will drive you crazy. If you do big magnification enlargements, it will be essential. As you magnification increases, your depth of field at the negative gets smaller.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Well there are some benes to being one of the few that shoot film in a photo-club.

I just got a Saunders/LPL 670 dxl and a Jobo CPA2 with lift and a darkroom sink and various and sundry accessories... Free.

I about fell over when the deal came up.

The guy used the kit for making Ciba-Chromes from mounted 35mm slides.

The only thing the enlarger lacks for me, is the carriers for 6x6, 6x7 and 35mm negs.

So in poking about I have found carriers specifically made for each film around on the net.

I also found a universal glass carrier with 4 bladed masking. It's not cheap but compared to three plain carriers it's reasonable.

What are your thoughts?

Mark, that Jobo is no good, better send it to me!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    The glass carrier really helps keep everything in focus, especially the frames at the end of the film strips, which are prone to curl more. I use the glass carrier all the time with my Saunders/LPL 670 VCCE enlarger. Make sure to get one with (or order) the optional Anti-Newton Ring glass for the top glass.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin