Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,282   Online: 843

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Flattening prints with a press?

Hi.

I'm having trouble getting a perfectly flat fiber print. Does anyone flatten their prints after they've dried in a dry mount press? If so, what do you use in between the press and the print (like mat board?) so that the press doesn't damage the print. What temperature and duration?

Images
    Good Morning, Kipkeston,

A dry mount press works fine for FB print flattening. It doesn't necessarily have to be at as hot a temperature as you need for mounting. Usually a minute or less, even at less than 200 degrees, will do the trick. Putting prints in a mat board sandwich will provide protection; just be sure to use clean, high-quality boards. Putting flattened prints under heavy weight after drying them can help also.

Konical

Shooter
    35mm
    I do this all the time. Best results when the print is allowed to cool whilst still in the press.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I flat them in a dry mount press between two mount boards, and then right after that let them cool under pressure of some heavy books...works nice

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I second wiggywag's comment with one small addition; you can buy coated (teflon?) release material from the same place you get your drymount tissue. It's usually sold in 36"x** rolls and lasts for many goes through the press, for flattening or for mounting FB prints. It leaves no residue on the print (if you keep mounting tissue adhesive off of it) and you can cut it a little larger than 11x14, or whatever size you print to make it easier to handle in the press. An additional matboard layer outside the release paper aids in heat distribution a little, but not necessary. I do that only when mounting, which is different times and temps anyway.

Most FB paper can tolerate 200degF in the press, but for flattening only, 165degF for 20-30 secs works nicely for me. As said in the previous post, place the print flat under some books or weights immediately after removing from the press while it's still warm.

By the way, I got my press off of Craigslist for $125. Look at classifieds if you don't have one before you pay $1200 for a new one. Smaller ones are fairly simple appliances with not too much to go wrong, so used should still get a lot of mileage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All good suggestions.

I just sandwich dried prints between two sheets of museum board, with some books on top; let them sit overnight.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks for the tips. I will look into this teflon coated release material. I've tried just mat board in the past, but all of the fibers from the board ended up getting baked into the print.

I have a Seal 210M, which is probably overkill since I don't print bigger than 11x14.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use release paper. 30 seconds in a Seal 200.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Kraft paper works just as well for pressing prints flat with a press; however, it is not good for mounting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I do this all the time. Best results when the print is allowed to cool whilst still in the press.

Exactly, or, immediately remove from press into said "mat board sandwich". =) Oh, I also use release paper in my press.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin