Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,436   Online: 1150

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Homemade negative/slide projector

Is there any way i can build a 35 mm negative/slide projector or viewer out of ordinary household items.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    a light bulb and a box works for the projector body. I'm not sure how you would do the lens though. Maybe you could rig something up with a magnifying glass or two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know where you are, but around where I live 35mm slide projectors are plentiful at thrift stores and on Craigslist.

I saw a nice Rollei projector today in a local thrift store for $4.00
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    it is not so easy to find something, here, it is a small town.

Shooter
    35mm
    would a magnyfiing lense work, if i work out the right focal distance ?

Shooter
    35mm
    i think there might be a old 8mm film projector in my parents house, can this be easily used to project 35mm film, or no?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The lens is to small. A magnifier glass would work, however, even small towns most everywhere have mail service, is yours different?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The lens on an 8mm movie projector probably wouldn't have enough flat field coverage to project a 35mm slide. The condensers and other elements in the light path almost certainly wouldn't be able to evenly illuminate the slide, either.

Each frame in a 8mm movie is a lot smaller than a 35mm slide.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    So the current deal is that i am pretty sure i have one of those gameboy pocket magnifying things

laying around somewhere.

the next thing on my plan is to set up a light bulb and film holder, so that i can project it to a regular flatbed scanner while the lights are off. I hope this gives me decent results in 600x400 resolution.

Shooter
    35mm
    If that's the purpose for the projector questions, then "all you really need" is something to illuminate the transparency or negative while it is in contact with the scanner-glass. Assuming that you have no access to a flatbed with a film-scanner built in (a reasonable assumption?) then you could fix a couple of mirrors at exactly 90 degrees and place them over the top of a narrow piece of glass or perspex holding the film down - in other words the film is illuminated partially by the light reflecting from the mirrors as well as partially by the direct scanning lamp. Unfortunately I have never tried that myself, but have seen it described. It sounds rather optimistic - but nevertheless seems more likely to work than projecting a dim image onto a highly illuminated scanner glass !

If you have a d*****l slr then you could also try illuminating the transparency or neg from behind and then photographing it with some sort of macro device or lens. This method IS commonly used, though would be better researched in the Hybridphotos forum attached to Apug.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin