Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,448   Online: 934

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting points all around. I think one could summarize the beneifts by saying, with a potentially negligible loss in quality you gain an apparently larger format. This is preferred over shooting in a different format/aspect, that is, using more film in the longrun. Not to mention, anamorphic leneses could be easily added to the already existing cameras & projectors that were abundant in the industry.

Hence my interest... I could slap an anamorphic lens on any camera & likewise on any enlarger. If the optics are high quality enough I don't think print quality would be a concern.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A typical anamorphic lens for 35mm film probably won't cover the full frame of a 35mm film camera (which of course is a lot bigger).

You could try a 35mm anamorphic adapter with 110 or 16mm or Half-Frame. You just need a single lens and can use it for both exposure and printing.

X-Pan and Widelux are much better solutions. But the cheapest and widest would be to tape a 10 or 12 cm piece of 35mm film to a 4x5 monorail filmholder.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I sometimes use an Iscorama anamorphic. The anamorphic element is attached to a 50mm f/2.8 lens in a Nikon manual mount. I like the ultrawide aspect ratio when used on my Pronea S APS camera. I then expand the scanned image by a factor of 1.5 in Photoshop.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I believe the anamorphic lenses were used to fit a new frame size into the academy standard 35mm film frame. Still photographers have the ability to use a wider film frame. The anamorphic lenses are expensive, heavy, and give some weird effects in the bokeh of the image.
    --Nicholas Andre

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin