Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,859   Online: 885

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: enlarger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    What about a Beseler 45VXL? Anyone have any experience with that? It looks more comparable to the Saunders, with the single column etc.
    jeroldharter has and uses a Beseler 45VXL. You might want to PM him.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    B66 doesn't produce even lighting. In fact it's quite bad how you can see the condensers, concentric circles etc on the baseboard. There is a very pronounced hot spot off center
    The light from this enlarger should be very even. There is something profoundly wrong with your B66.

Possibilities: wrong condensers for the lens focal length; missing condenser lens; mis-mounted condensers; wrong enlarging bulb (PH/140 75W - sort of a tear-drop shape, not the standard household bulb shape); wrong focal length lens for negative size / wrong negative carrier...

Of course, if you just want a new enlarger...
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You can't go wrong with any modern 4x5 enlarger. As far as I know, only the Omega and Beseler are adjustable, and they will need alignment after assembly. Durst, DeVere, and Saunders will need to be assembled, but cannot be aligned once put together. I have experience with all the brands I mention except Durst.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What about a Beseler 45VXL? Anyone have any experience with that? It looks more comparable to the Saunders, with the single column etc.
    The dual post models have been made for 50+ years and are still being made. Maybe the single post is more to do with trying to look modern. Which is strange because in the beginning, the single post was the more common, wasn't it. I don't think it matters as much as the overall design and construction. Making a good print depends more on operator skills & knowledge than which brand enlarger, which lens, what easel, and so forth.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Dear Michael 1974;
    I have a Beseler 45VXL that I bought new when they first came out and I use the Dichro 45S head. It is a fabulous machine and very massive. I am able to make 22x28 inch prints on the baseboard and the light is very even. I have also used the Durst 1200 and it is a fine machine. I chose the Beseler because parts and accessories for it are much easier to find. The 45VXL will last you two lifetimes and will perform any task you ask of it. I believe the enlarger comes standard with the condenser head as mine did and the 45Dichro S head can be found used in excellent shape for less than $300 almost any time on Ebay. If you buy the enlarger new, I suggest you also buy the focusing and elevation extension rods if they don't come with the machine. If I recall, my enlarger did come with the rods and believe me, they are essential unless you have long gorilla arms. My enlarger sits on a very heavy metal office desk that is 29in high and with the enlarger extended almost to the top I have about 4in clearance with my 8ft ceiling. The 45VXL was designed for heavy commercial use and I promise, you will never wear it out. I hope this has been of some value to you and good luck with whatever you decide.
    Denise Libby
    Last edited by archer; 08-07-2010 at 04:11 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    LpL enlargers can be aligned. Mine was pretty good out of the box, but now it is perfect. You just need to be clever in figuring out where to put the shims

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin