Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,020   Online: 822

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Anti-Newton spray

In my continuing experiments on 35mm negatives to try and reduce the effects of popping in my Omega B66, I would like to try simply removing the glass from a B+W clear filter and using it as a top glass over the negative in my glassless carrier.

Previously I experimented with using the glass from Gepe Anti-Newton slide mounts on top of the negative, but I usually got newton rings anyway. I thought next I might try adding the very thin metal frame from inside the slide mount to the sandwich, placing it between the negative and the glass. This would allow a tiny bit of air space between the negative and glass. But I haven't tried this due to the other problems I would still face: the slight anti-newton texture is sometimes visible in the print, and the pieces of glass in the Gepe slide mounts seem to always have small flaws in them, which can show up in printing. So I've abandoned the slide mount idea for now.

If I use the B+W optical filter glass on top of the negative, I assume newton rings will be a constant problem. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with anti-newton sprays. Do these work? Are there any residual effects on the negative?

Thanks
    Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not place film chips in glassless slide mounts. Then you can use a mounted slide carrier(I have one for my Omega C-700) I must admit, I've never had a negative 'pop' to the point I couldn't enlarge it properly. I'm pretty sure that carrier fits your B-66. I'll trade it to you for a 6x6 carrier.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whenever I had problems with newton rings; I used a very light dusting of rice starch which is very fine. I never tried it with small format film, but no reason why it would not work. I applied it with a small spice bottle with shaker top and blew off the glass. Enough remained on the glass to prevent newton rings.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    35mm
    I solved my negative popping problems my going to a cold light head. Just another idea.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Both Omega and Beseler make anti newton glass negative carriers, usually 4x5 format. I make a mask with a cut out in the exact center, just a little bigger than the negative (the full height of the film and to the left and right of the frame.) I use photo opaque sheets to prevent the flaring from the clear glass area all around the film. Photo opaque is a graphic arts material used to cut-in the film negatives of the type and seperation negatives of the photographs used to make the plates for an offset press. Any graphic arts printer that still uses an offset press will usually have some in the shop. If you expect a long exposure spray glue two sheets together before you cut out the center hole. The sheets are orange and made of an opaque plastic material.
    Bill

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Michael,

I tried an anti-newton spray and while it worked well, it was a pain to use regularly. No trouble with the AN glass in an Omega negative holder when working at a public darkroom that had condenser enlargers. I find that I don't need a glass holder for my diffusion (Omega Dichroic D). A company called focal point sells AN glass cut to size.

Good luck,

Neal Wydra

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anti-Newton spray....

hmm, must contain apple-juice. Or just not...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been reading some more about sprays and the cleanup required. That is a non-starter for me. Cleaning negatives ruins negatives, and in 35mm any flaw shows up. Forget it. No way I'm going down that road. Once I'm into cleaning, there is no need for silly sprays. I might as well use oil immersion, which will eliminate newton rings. I'm not doing that either.

Some have suggested that anti-reflective glass should at least reduce the probability of getting newton rings. For my experiment I'm planning to use the glass from a B+W clear filter that is multicoated. I will test this way to see if that helps. If not, my next step would be to get anti-newton glass. But again, so far I've found anti-newton glass to be less than ideal with condenser enlarging since the texture seems to show up in the print.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Anti-Newton spray....

Or perhaps you underestimate the gravity of the situation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Anti-Newton spray....

Isn't it what NASA used when they film the moon landings & walks in the Nevada desert

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin