Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,932   Posts: 1,585,462   Online: 1019

Shooter
    35mm

Making prints with 70mm enlarger lens

Hi,

I recently bought a cheap ($10) old enlarger from a garage sale.

It has a 70mm lens and it only has a medium format negative carrier....

Which is all fine except I only really shoot 35mm film. Is it possible to make a decent print from a 35mm negative with a 70mm enlarger lens? I understand a 50mm enlarger lens is ideal for a 35mm negative.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, but you might find your enlarger head won't rise high enough to get large enlargements, and you may not be able to focus properly on the small enlargements. Try it and see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It will work, give it a try. Probably need to make or modify the negative carrier to handle 35mm so it doesn't curl to much.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use an 80mm lens for 35mm negatives normally but I don't often print larger than 12" x 16".

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    70mm is not a problem.
    The negative carrier might bee. Make sure that you can get the negative flat, and try making some kind of frame (cardboard or foil will usually do) to cut out the light from outside the negative.
    Everything should work just fine.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin