Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,476   Online: 994

Shooter
    Medium Format

Best way to cut my 120 fim negatives to fit my 645 De vere 504 neg mask set

I know want to use scissors to cut my negs into single 645 pieces of developed film. What is the right tool to cut them correctly. I see a cutter at Walgreens for 35mm film cuts film not 5 frames and seal sleeves the negatives, Right now I just put the whole roll in clear protective sleeving. I NEED TO CUT EM UP TO WORK WITH with them (sorry caps) . 645 and my de Vere 504 masks are becoming a Pita as the Lucky SHD 100 in 120 is very curly and hard to keep flat. Any help is apprcitated

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use scissors. Nothing bad has ever happened to my film by doing this. Why do you not want to use scissors?

If you are going to cut them into single frames, I would consider using slide mounts to store the film.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cutting singly makes them far harder ton work with, especially in a large neg holder like the De Vere's. I leave my 645's in strips of 4 (and one 3).

For cutting I use sharp scissors or sometimes a surgical blade.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Cutting singly makes them far harder ton work with, especially in a large neg holder like the De Vere's. I leave my 645's in strips of 4 (and one 3).
    You only get 15 exposures from your 645 equipment? (Why the strip of 3?)

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kraker View Post
    You only get 15 exposures from your 645 equipment?
    Yep...unless using a Contax or a Fujifilm vertical 645 AF camera. There may be others as well, but those are the only two I have used that give you 16. I assume since Hasselblad's 645 back is called the A16, that it gives you 16 as well.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kraker View Post
    You only get 15 exposures from your 645 equipment? (Why the strip of 3?)
    Maths kraker

3x4 =12 & 1x3 =3, then 12+3 =15, we can't get 4 strips of 4 out of 15 frames

Many cameras shoot 15 6x4.5's

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Many cameras shoot 15 6x4.5's
    I never knew that... All my 6x4,5 cameras... That is to say, my Bronica RF645 does 16 (32) shots, every time.
    (When I see the roll hanging to dry, I often think there would even be room for a 17th, but then again, after frame 16, the shutter doesn't cock anymore.)

You learn something everyday on APUG!

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I get 16 frames, the masks on my 645 have a milled step / slot for the negative to lay in, How can I use strips of 4 and have the negs lay flat on the neg holder / mask. I dont plan to use the glass plates, just the masks.SO I am a little confused. Should I make a video of my masks and what I am doing? If anything you will get a great laugh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Search neg or film cutter on eBay. Telling the guy that you use scissors doesn't help him. Here's what I use. Made by Matin.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Film-Cutter-DrTs...#ht_2421wt_920
    Last edited by wildbill; 08-30-2010 at 09:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by akfreak View Post
    the masks on my 645 have a milled step / slot for the negative to lay in
    I just looked at the carriers on my De Vere - this is not what I see on the original manufacturers parts. However, the top (silver coloured) side of the "bookform" glassless carrier has a slightly thinner milled area next to the cutout on its top side. This is meant to reduce reflection from the vertical inner edges of the lit side of the carrier. The top and bottom plates are joined at the back with two small flexible-plastic hinges.

Going from the top, when ready for use, I see the silver plate with milled area uppermost, then the negative between the two smooth sides of the carrier-plates, then the smooth lower plate, then the main part of the negative-carrier with the masking etc.

Is it possible that your plates have become separated at some point and that the upper (silver coloured) plate is now upside-down ? That would take the weight of the head off the negative and it would no longer be held at all flat.

Alternatively you may have a carrier intended for holding mounted transparencies or even a part of a pin-register negative carrier in some sort of "Franken-carrier" arrangement.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin