Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,272   Online: 806

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Grain focus recommendations..

I have used and continue to use the Micro Sight Grain Focus. I need to get my own and was wondering what others would recommend.

I have seen the Peak Enlarging Focuser and the Micromega Critical Grain Focuser which both look superior, but haven't used them. They both appear to be between 7 to 10x the cost of the Micro Sight as found on ebay.

[SIZE=1]
    Background:
    I am going to be building my own colour darkroom over August. I have a Hope 26" paper processor, Wing-lynch film processor (which is already in service), Durst L1200 assorted lenses and neg holders and a heavy duty drop table.

There are a handful of odds and ends that I'll be needing and will be asking those here on APUG for recommendations.
    [/SIZE]

Thanks a tanker load in advance.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    any of those devices will do the work. I have a Microsite 25x and a Peak. I end up using the Peak all the time.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Peak has given me good service. Mind you I think there are three types.
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the Omega version of the Peak, it is the low end one, but still very nice.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used several grain focusers and they have always been adequate, but I picked up a Peak 1 on ebay and it is on a whole different level from the others. I found that it makes focusing easier for me by allowing me to see more of the negative.
    Scott Stadler

Images
    I, too, have used other grain focusers, (LPL, Microsight) and consider the purchase of the Peak a quantum upgrade. They all adequately "did the job", but the Peak, (Model 2), allows me to check corners and edges that simply were not visible with the others.
    The Model 2 is available used at half of the price for the Model 1. The 1 provides a 10 degree greater angle of coverage and a blue filter to improve visibility. I haven't used the 1 to know what I'm missing.

Cheers,
    Geary

Geary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fingel
    I've used several grain focusers and they have always been adequate, but I picked up a Peak 1 on ebay and it is on a whole different level from the others. I found that it makes focusing easier for me by allowing me to see more of the negative.
    Ditto, and I got mine for $55 on ebay still in the box wrapped in tissue having never been used.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would go for the peak, I got me the cheapest version and although still not cheap, it is far better than anything I have used or tried before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Peak is the winner.

I'm watching one on ebay now.

As mentioned in my timer recommendation thread, this place is the best. I'll have more questions over the next few weeks as I convert what was an old coal room into a very cramped darkroom. I may start a thread to document the progress. My SK 58mm XL may just be wide enough to shoot the room.

Thank you lee, Jorge, Aggie, Geary, fingel, photomc, and clogz.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I bought a Peak Grain Focuer #1 a couple of years ago--new & B&H or Adorama. I'm only sorry I didn't buy it 20 years ago.

Get the top of the line--it gives you the most freeedom to look anywhere in the image. Some of the others are limited to central area.

Good luck on the auction.

Charlie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin