Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,560   Posts: 1,545,261   Online: 810

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    IMO, the Metrolux II has the edge but unlike Les I only own one and use one daily. =8^). For the money you get 6 programable channels and real time. With the accessories you can resize and adjust the time automatically and it can be a small densitometer and it features a shutter timer checker. I don't think the RHdesigns do all that but I could be wrong.

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    RHdesign timers are remarkably cheap for what they are: great time and material savers. Flog the cat and buy one today.

I'll second that ... I have the analyser pro and dont think I could do without it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Analyser Pro has made life in the darkroom a lot easier for me. But then I only do B&W
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    IMO, the Metrolux II has the edge but unlike Les I only own one and use one daily. =8^). For the money you get 6 programable channels and real time. With the accessories you can resize and adjust the time automatically and it can be a small densitometer and it features a shutter timer checker. I don't think the RHdesigns do all that but I could be wrong.

lee\c
    I have a Metrolux II timer and it is hard for me to believe that anything could be better, but the caveat is that I have never used the RHdesigns. But the Metrolux does everything I could ask for and more, including the ability to function as a shutter tester.

However, I do have a question. The Metrolux II is a timer based on light integration and it measures the amount of light that can potentially fall on the sensitized material and affect exposure, in the way that a water meter measures the amount of water that passes through the system. Is the timer of the RHdesigns also based on light integration?

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    I have a Metrolux II timer and it is hard for me to believe that anything could be better, but the caveat is that I have never used the RHdesigns. But the Metrolux does everything I could ask for and more, including the ability to function as a shutter tester.

However, I do have a question. The Metrolux II is a timer based on light integration and it measures the amount of light that can potentially fall on the sensitized material and affect exposure, in the way that a water meter measures the amount of water that passes through the system. Is the timer of the RHdesigns also based on light integration?

Sandy
    Sandy,
    I have the RH designs timer with the light integrator module that plugs right into the Zone VI head on my enlarger. It works really well, and makes doing test strips exceedingly easy since it is a true f-stop timer. It also makes split grade printing a breeze. I can't say enough good things about it.

Images
    Just my $.02, (which, unfortunately, due to the state of our economy, isn't worth stooping over to pick-up!). I have had the RH Designs StopClock Pro and accompanying ZoneMaster II in use for about 2 months. (Which was purchased quite pleasantly from a fellow APUG'er. Thank you, Jim!) I have been using the clock for about 60 days now. Bottomline, I am hooked. Tremendous savings in materials,time, repeatable accuracy of prints, split-grade, dodge, burn, scaling size up/down, time for my nails to dry....oops wrong forum!

The learning curve on the timer is not steep. I am still trying to get an apprentice level competency with the ZoneMaster.

I have no practical familiarity with the MetroLux, but will wholeheartedly champion the StopClock!! As an aside, RHDesigns supports APUG and Les is a key contributor to both!
    Hard to go wrong!!

Cheers,
    Geary

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lee

lee\c
    Another advantage of the metrolux, if you put a ND on top of the cell, you can do alt printing under the sun or with fluorescent bulbs and get consistent exposures. No need to get a plateburner. I was very tempted to go this way until I found a plate burner for a couple of G`s

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have little knowledge of electronics but I understand that the sensor in the Stopclock reads the light level every 1/100th of 1 second and adjusts the speed of the timer accordingly. Therefore, when the lamp is brighter the clock speeds up and when it's less bright it slows down. I also have the Zone VI compensating timer, somewhere in a box, and frankly it's crap when compared with the Stopclock.

Lee made the point that the Metrolux has shutter time checking and other facilities that the Stopclock has not but I cannot comment on those for I have not used them. Bottom line is that they are both excellent timers and you'll not go wrong with either. I am a great fstop printing fan and until you have tried it you'll never realise the control that it gives. before I used it I was very sceptical but once I started I could never return to linear timing. I take my own fstop timer to all workshops that I do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Excelent Information-- As always.

I will create searches in ebay for Stopclock Pro and Metrolux. I have yet to investigate pricing for the Metrolux, but suspect that if the StopClock retails for 170.00 usd it will sell on ebay for under 125.00.

The paper processor, 2 porta mixers, water temp control and filters, the enlarger, table and lenses cost me Nothing and the film processor, which came with the Wing-lynch filter and water temp panels, and film drier was a trade for services. Total out of pocket 0.00usd

I should be able to justify one of those timers to my far more attractive half.

titrisol,
    Thank you very much for the offer I may take you up on it.

FrankB, Les, Clogz, Dave Miller, Leaon, Clay, Jorge, Geary, titrisol, and Sandy Thank you one and all.

It never ceases to amaze me how well informed and helpful this place is. I shudder to think how this thread might have been treated on photonet. This is without a doubt the best forum on the web with the best membership.

Oooh shoot now I need a hanky.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The metroLux II has an MSRP of 345.00. This may cut into my film and paper kitty. RH Designs does support APUG so I'm leaning their way. @ 170.00 I may buy direct if nothing shows up on ebay.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin