Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,676   Online: 1117

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Marco,

The L1200 will print up to 4x5 inch, Adrian is wrong that only the 138 can do it. Here's an image printed on my L1200:

I did not mask out the actual image edges (which you can with the negative mask), hence the apparently clipped corners (which are caused by the negative mask's design), but those "clips" are actually outside the regular printing area of a 4x5 negative, if the negative is properly placed, you only lose a tiny fraction.

Also, my Ilford Multigrade 500H light head for the L1200 comes with 4x5 mixing boxes...

L1200's are actually quite common here in Europe I think, certainly more than the 138. I know they were used quite a lot here in the Netherlands, and you still see them pop up once in a while on sites like e-bay.
    My reply was not entirely clear. I meant that in addition to the L1200 the only other enlarger that would do 5x4 is the 138. I also failed to mention Durst's 10x8 range assuming that they were outside the scope of this thread. My point was that as the original poster mentioned the L900 that it will not print a 5x4 enlarger.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Lab 1000 and the Lab 54 (which I now have set up) both enlarge up to 5x4 with appropriate holders and masks and condensers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Marco, what's the price in holland fir the L1200 complete of mixingbox for the 35mm, 6x9 and 10x12?
    Thanks

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Marco

The Durst L1200 with a color 501 head is all I use for all formats up to 4x5. It works great. You can calibrate the color head to grades 0 to 5 without any problems. Take a look at this:

http://www.waybeyondmonochrome.com/W...largersEd2.pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DarkroomBasement.jpg  
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    @MarcoB: wooow, great picture!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fourtoes is right, don't forget the L1000, which also does from 4X5 down.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Marco, what's the price in holland fir the L1200 complete of mixingbox for the 35mm, 6x9 and 10x12?
    I had a L1200 incl. all Femoboxes and Rodenstock enlarger lenses 50-80-150mm from a local lab for Eur. 350,00

In mint condition but impossible to ship these monsters.
    They can just fit into a regular car in Holland

But you have to be lucky. In my negative format I go till 6x7 (cm) so I sold the unit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    The Durst L1200 with a color 501 head is all I use for all formats up to 4x5. It works great.
    Ralph: I have also all the appropriate mixing boxes and lenses for 35mm, MF and 4x5 LF for my Ilford Multigrade 500H head, so can potentially print everything with that.

However, since I only work with 35mm and 4x5 at the moment (still need to get a MF set), and have a second enlarger in the form of a Durst 670 BW, that does 35mm very nicely, I simply stick with doing 4x5 on the L1200. Although it is not difficult, having to swap out lenses and mixing boxes is still a bit more work than firing up the 670 BW...

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoGiardini View Post
    Thanks
    I bought mine, including some 6 good enlarger lenses (I had doubles, please note you will need three different enlarger lenses to cover all formats: a 50mm lens for 35mm film format, a 105mm lens for MF and a 150mm for 4x5), Ilford Multigrade 500H system complete including 2 analyzers (not necessary, I don't use them) and two paper masks for 700,- euro...

But that was some 5 years ago... still not bad, considering such a set probably cost the equivalent of some 7000,- euro new back when they were still produced.

Like Robert said, these are hefty machines. I guess it might be something like 30-35 kilo, and that is excluding the Ilford 600 Watt power supply that in my case alone already weighs an incredible 10,3(!) kilo's

I also do have the feeling that the number of available second hand enlargers has significantly dropped, especially the good ones like Dursts. Probably mainly because most of them did not sell and/or ended up on the landfill, but maybe also because of some renewed interest by younger people buying the last remaining stuff.

Anyway, I do see an interesting recent advertisement on a Dutch site:

http://www.fotoapparatuur.nl/Durst/V.../Ad122576.html

It is for the even bigger Durst Laborator 138S, for 500,- euro.

That is not so special, but this one has a story accompanying it according to the descriptive text . I don't know if you know her, but it used to be owned by Rineke Dijkstra, a female Dutch photographic artist who has had some major international success with her 4x5 LF portrait series of children-on-beaches and some other stuff. See for example this short bio on the site of the Tate Modern:

http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/exhibi...r/dijkstra.htm

or this one from the Marian Goodman gallery including some well known images:

http://www.mariangoodman.com/artists/rineke-dijkstra/

It is sold by Annaleen Louwes, another Dutch photographic artist, less famous, but I see her listed with one of the most prominent Dutch photo galleries...

So if you want an enlarger with a story

There is also a recent listing for a seemingly very nice (and I think autofocus) Durst Pictochrom Plus AF. I hadn't seen these before, but Googling tells me it is essentially a motorized L1200, designed for use in commercial labs!

http://www.fotoapparatuur.nl/Durst/D.../Ad125590.html

I am a bit puzzled though by the 6x7 inch max in the advertisement text, according to this Durst document, it should print up to 4x5 inch... I guess the seller confuses 6x7 cm MF negatives with being LF and wrote that down...

The price for this motorized beast is not listed, it says it is negotiable...

Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    I had a L1200 incl. all Femoboxes and Rodenstock enlarger lenses 50-80-150mm from a local lab for Eur. 350,00

In mint condition but impossible to ship these monsters.
    They can just fit into a regular car in Holland
    I hauled mine in a Volkswagen Golf after unscrewing the base board and removing the Ilford Multigrade head... but the 138S is a real beast needing a truck or mini-van at least...
    Last edited by Marco B; 09-12-2010 at 12:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also here you can find darkroom stuff:

http://kopen.marktplaats.nl/audio-tv...oren/c488.html

But also think about the transport problem of these big things. My L1200 was just fitting on the back of my Toyota Corolla Verso. And indeed the power supply only > 10kg!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourtoes View Post
    The Lab 1000 and the Lab 54 (which I now have set up) both enlarge up to 5x4 with appropriate holders and masks and condensers.
    You know I had forgotten all about the Lab 1000 and Lab 54.

Another alternative, if a laborator is to difficult to obtain is the Devere 504. These enlargers enjoy an excellent reputation for quality and may be easier to find. Prices should be fairly comparable to the Durst.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin