Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,720   Online: 746

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

4"x 5" Enlarger - Durst Laborator

I'm finally arrived to a large format camera (sinar P2) and i now need an elnlarger for this format (4x5")
    I have a durst 805 used to print from the 35mm to 6x9 but i need something larger now.
    I do not have space for 2 enlargers, so i want to print from the 35mm to the 4x5 on the same enlarger. I was thinking about the Durst Laborator 1200 but is not clear to me if the CLS 500 or CLS 501 are capable to print the large format. Do they need a special film tray and some special stuff to print the LF? and if yes, what do they need?
    thanks a lot

marco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The laborator will handing up to 4xinch with the standard negaive carrier. Just make sure that it has both top and bottom negative glasses. You will also need the appropriate 4x5 mixing box. Although much rarer for monochrome you cannot beat the VLS501 head although the colour heads will work, if you know the filtration for the paper you are using.

For smaller formats you will need the appropriate negagive masks. They come in pairs but I use a negaive mask on the bottom and glass on the top. Theoretically you will also need the appropriate mixing box as well. You can get away with a 4x5 mixing box for 4x5 down to 6x9cm and a 6x6 mixing box for 6x6 and 35mm.

I hope this helps

Adrian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Adrian. so you confim me that the standard holder supports up to the 5x4 and i need the 4x5 mixing box. Do you know the name of the 4x5 mixing box? is it the same fot the L900 or is specific for the 1200?
    thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Adrian said it perfectly. I had purchased separate enlargers to work from 35mm up to 4x5, but now use only the L1200. It's just great. If you can find one in good condition with the accessories you need at your price point, don't hesitate.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think the mixing box is the Femobox45. Send me a PM and I'll see if I can find my manual. It has a list of all the accessories that is helpful.

Leo
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i have found a Durst L900 with CLS 500 and all the mix box up to the 6x9. But i need to print also the 4x5. so if i can find the femobox 45 i should be able to print from 35mm to 4x5.
    Ebay....please.......help me!
    :-)
    thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hate to say, you just missed one on ebay from San Francisco that went for $8.50.... but there will be more!

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoGiardini View Post
    i have found a Durst L900 with CLS 500 and all the mix box up to the 6x9. But i need to print also the 4x5. so if i can find the femobox 45 i should be able to print from 35mm to 4x5.
    Ebay....please.......help me!
    :-)
    thanks
    I thought the L900, as the baby brother of the L1200, would only print up to 6x9 inches. The only other Durst that will do 5x4 (IIRC) is the 138 which goes up to 5x7 but is an enormous beast. I would check this out before committing to buy.

In fact, see the following thread

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/3...-450-head.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks adrian, thanks a lot. But a 1200 here in europe is quite hard to find and is not that cheap!i will go on searching!
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Twiss View Post
    I thought the L900, as the baby brother of the L1200, would only print up to 6x9 inches. The only other Durst that will do 5x4 (IIRC) is the 138 which goes up to 5x7 but is an enormous beast. I would check this out before committing to buy.

In fact, see the following thread

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/3...-450-head.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Marco,

The L1200 will print up to 4x5 inch, Adrian is wrong that only the 138 can do it. Here's an image printed on my L1200:

I did not mask out the actual image edges (which you can with the negative mask), hence the apparently clipped corners (which are caused by the negative mask's design), but those "clips" are actually outside the regular printing area of a 4x5 negative, if the negative is properly placed, you only lose a tiny fraction.

Also, my Ilford Multigrade 500H light head for the L1200 comes with 4x5 mixing boxes...

L1200's are actually quite common here in Europe I think, certainly more than the 138. I know they were used quite a lot here in the Netherlands, and you still see them pop up once in a while on sites like e-bay.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin