Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,569   Posts: 1,646,569   Online: 972

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

parts are not made by Beseler... generic replacements?

Electronic parts are generally standard parts since Beseler is not in the electronics business. I suggest you try taking the part out and going to an elecrtonics shop to see if you can find a generic replacement.

OR

Perhaps mr Frost, the part itself has a number and manufacturer as do many electronic parts. If you can open the box and tell me what the name n numbers on the part is, I can look it up for you and the others in my reference books or right here on the internet at Allied Electronics, one of the largest and oldest distributer of parts.

I am sure it's an easy soldering job on the printed circuit board with no more than 4 connections. The opto isolator is to keep one voltage separate from another, to isolate an AC from a DC, higher from a lower voltage or used as a relay. Specs aren't critical as long as we get them within range, current is what kills them.

Images
    I guess if it were mine, I would look for an optoisolator that has the same pin layout. There are also solid state switches that control AC with a DC signal that can handle well over 3 amps. They have the equivalent of an optoisolator built in.

My advice won't help much if you are not an old, old electronic experimenter. The first article I ever had published was in Popular Electronics in 1960. It told how to build a transistorized automobile radio vibrator using power transistors and an oscillator circuit. Ther's a good chance that most of you don't know what I'm talking about, but in those days, anyone who had a radio in an automobile would have known. Thet were used to convert DC to AC so a transformer could be used to get high voltage for the vacuum tubes. Oh, oh. I used another archaic phrase.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Medium Format

I subscribed then...

What did you publish in PE? What was your pen name? I might still have some of them in the closet.

When I was a kid I would save my 25˘/wk allowence to buy electronic parts from Lafyette on 14th street NYC, or made a regular run to Cortland street to buy parts by the pound form the junk shops to build projects from Popular Electronics Mag. Another mag was Ham Radio which later became Radio Electronics when it turned over to Ziff Davis. Ah yes the dayz when the sweet smell of flux n ozone was in the air. Oh oh don't forget the model glue, my memory is shot... where am i?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    "high voltage for the vacuum tubes. Oh, oh. I used another archaic phrase"

'nuthin archaic about that , brother.. I have 4 12AX7 and 2 EL34 (or something like that) in my class a/b tube amplifier.

For electric guitar, like so many things, the best is always analog.

-Wish I could get one of you ham radio guys to build me some custom tube gear...

Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    OK, I managed to dig up the old part in a box of parts. The printing on the case is:

"VACTEC 82 12 VACTROL VTL 9B8" the can has 4 leads and about 3/4" high by
    about 1/2" diameter. Inside looks like a small neon lamp next to a photo sensor.
    Yep, the neon bulb is blackened. Thanks for your help to hunt down a replacement
    Paul. If you find something I may order a backup as well.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    ...Or that could be "VACTROL VTL 988"

Shooter
    Medium Format

waiting for a reply

i found a unit that seems like it should work, it is used in similar applications. I can't find any specs of the or a listing of the number unit you have, so... I e-mailed the companies and am waiting for a reply to see if they list the vactrol we have and if it will be compatable with it.

if I can have someone to measure the voltage/impeadance at the input/output I can better match it. otherwise we are at the mercy of the manufacturer. If I can get a circuit diagram of the unit I can figure it out just as easy. Beseler hasn't answered either. I will call later this week.

Shooter
    35mm
    Okay, I have an answer back from Beseler. As folows:

"Yes , you are correct it is an opto-islator and it is marked R2 on the PC board. On the board you will notice a metal piece about the size of a nickel with a cross cut out in the middle. (this was for adjusting voltage) Then you will also notice two silver components that are cylindrical in shape and rounded at the tops. The one to the lower right is the one you would want to change.( the one further away from the plugs that go into the board. Just look at it and I think you will easily find it. It is manufactured by a distributor called Perkin -Elmer and the part # is VTL- 5C3 but it is
    different and I am not sure if it has a sequence it must be soddered into the board. Allied Electronics at 800-433-5700 is a company that carries perkin-elmer parts so if you want to give it a shot."

I did check with Allied (they also have a website) who has the part (Allied#980-0710) in stock. The rub is that the part costs $3.00 dollars and the minimum order is $25.00. There is also a company called Newark who carries Perkinelmer parts (773-784-5100). I went with Allied so I can get this fixed. As I am living in Canada I would have preferred a Canadian supplier to make ordering simpler but I could not find one.

As for specs. I believe I came across them on either the Perkinelmer or Allied site.

Will post again when I have the enlarger fixed. I'm taking it to a local electronics outlet.

Regards,
    Phoebe

Shooter
    Medium Format

Couldn't wait?

I saw that part you found and sent off an e-mail to Perkins asking if they had specs on the original part vs the one you found, they haven't replied yet.

One other way to get around this is to use a realy that would do exactly the same thing. If I know what the voltage at the input is we can find a coil of matching voltage and pop that in, the contacts on the other side are just for switching no matter what the the current draw is.

There are many other better optoisolators also higher rated and faster, besides, won't die in time as this one seem to do. If you over rate the current carrying capability you may solve a design flaw Beseler was making a nice living from.

You should have posted the fact you needed a minimum order and maybe others could have joined in on the order? Also, I may have been able to get it locally and mailed one to you. NYC still has some electronics parts sources.

Please let us know how it works out?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Phoebe, Please do follow up here and let us know if your part solved the problem.
    I presume you ordered extras to 'fill' your $25 minimum order. If that is the case
    I would be happy to buy 1 or 2 off you at higher price to help you recoup your
    cost. I'm sure there are more than a few others out there with a Dichro 'S' head
    that will be needing this part in the future. ...Let's also hope the replacement part
    has a longer life span. Good Luck, Gary Frost

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin