Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,220   Online: 856

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Beseler lamp delay for printing

I have just set up a used Beseler 23CII which has the Dual Dichro S colorhead. The problem is that the light does not always pop on as soon as it is switched on sometimes causing a delay of over 1 second. I have tested this both with the enlarger plugged directly into a wall socket and run through two different timers. Again, when the timer is started it may activate the light immediately or be delayed.
    The previous owner claims he didn't have this problem and I tend to believe him. I had the enlarger in storage for 2 years before finally setting it up. Any suggestions as to where I can begin troubleshooting?

Regards,
    Phoebe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you opened the lamphouse and verified the lamp is plugged into its socket securely? Other than that it may be a defective lamp or if you have a voltage stabilizer it may be there.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some enlargers do have a delay from when the timer is started to when the lamp switches on. If the Beseler is one of them you need a timer that allows you to set a delay so that it starts with the enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You know, mine tends to consistently do this. I start the timer & maybe 1 second later, the light comes on. I have a Beseler 23cII condenser head. I would think that if this is the case, and it's consistent, it should not be a problem. I timed mine against a digital timer to see the lapse & now I just figure the delay into the exposure time.

If, however, this is an intermittent problem, I'd check the bulb like Gary says.
    Jeanette
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Images
    An integrating timer with a light sensor would compensate for this. The MetroLux II even measures the light after the switch is turned off (decay light) and calculates this a part of the exposure.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all your replies re the enlarger delay problem. I will try all your suggestions. I think that the unit is supposed to have its own voltage stabilizer and the directions said not to add an external one. But everything is worth a try.

Phoebe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hello, I've been lurking here for a while on APUG but when I came upon your post today
    I just had to register so I could reply. I have a Dual Dichro with integral power supply
    like yours and several years ago mine started to have the same problem. ....Well after
    a while it just got much worse until it was unpredictable when and if it would turn on.
    I contacted BESELER tech support about the problem and they were most helpful.
    There is an 'opto-isolator' in board that goes bad after many years that causes the
    problem. As I am handy with a soldering iron and such things, I was able to order the
    part from Beseler and replace it myself. (it needs to be removed and replaced on a
    curcuit board) As long as the one second delay is predictable you can continue to use
    it but I would plan on replacing the part in the near future. Mine has been working fine
    since the replacement. (though lately it hasn't seen much use as I'm using another
    enlarger) I would recommend to order the part rom Beseler so you have it when the
    time comes. Hope you and other Beseler Dual Dichro owners find this helpful.

Shooter
    35mm

enlarger delay problem

Quote Originally Posted by g.frost
    Hello, I've been lurking here for a while on APUG but when I came upon your post today
    I just had to register so I could reply. I have a Dual Dichro with integral power supply
    like yours and several years ago mine started to have the same problem. ....Well after
    a while it just got much worse until it was unpredictable when and if it would turn on.
    I contacted BESELER tech support about the problem and they were most helpful.
    There is an 'opto-isolator' in board that goes bad after many years that causes the
    problem. As I am handy with a soldering iron and such things, I was able to order the
    part from Beseler and replace it myself. (it needs to be removed and replaced on a
    curcuit board) As long as the one second delay is predictable you can continue to use
    it but I would plan on replacing the part in the near future. Mine has been working fine
    since the replacement. (though lately it hasn't seen much use as I'm using another
    enlarger) I would recommend to order the part rom Beseler so you have it when the
    time comes. Hope you and other Beseler Dual Dichro owners find this helpful.
    I believe that this is exactly my problem. I do need to fix this as there is not a consistent delay. Hopefully Beseler still carries the part.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Phoebe, it's been 5-6 years since I ordered the "opto-isolator" part from Beseler.
    I expect they will still be familiar with the problem and have the replacement part but
    please follow up here on this thread so others can get their Dual Dichro S fixed.
    If you need any details on the part or how to replace it, feel free to contact me.
    The opto-isolator goes bad gradually with use: somewhat like a light bulb that gets
    darker with age. It is directly related to how long the enlarger light is on. It does not
    go bad with storage or non-use.
    Good luck, Gary Frost.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am in contact with a very helpful person at Beseler. He is trying to help me but Beseler no longer carries parts or does repairs. He hasn't given up yet. I will post to the list when I have solved my problem. I am being optimistic.
    Regards,
    Phoebe

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin