Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,783   Online: 964

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First level the frame using a spirit level, there are adjusters under the front feet. Then check the enlarger head is level, it can be adjusted to give tilt so make sure it's det to the mid point. Once you've done that set the baseboard, there's adjusters where it sits on the frame.

There's a good chance it'll be fine anyway,

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I guess an iPhone spirit level app won't really cut the mustard, eh?! I'll have to get a proper spirit level, which is what I damn-well knew I should've gotten today while at the hardware store especially to get a spanner for under the baseboard & allen key for those indented adjustment screws. Never mind, I'll get one later. In the meantime I've been playing with adjusting some points by eyesight, and already I can see a noticeable improvement

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a good long spirit level, approx a metre or 3 of Henry the Eighth's feet Very useful for hanging exhibitions which is what I bought it for, but it also means you can see if the base boards flat and not warped, tey are cheap in the UK.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi gamincurieux

I would recommend the Parallel by Versalab. I used one to align my De Vere. Sorry Arizona is a little far from Australia. The good news is that it stayed in alignment for over 10 years, the De Vere enlargers are really well made.

Fred Newman

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Fred, I do have my eye on one of those, but after buying this enlarger it'll be a while before I can fork out for one..... if anyone closer could lend me one for a weekend that'd be great!

Shooter
    35mm
    I've gone a fair way doing it by sight, but the outer edges of the image are still blurry, leading me to think that this is simply because the neg ain't FLAT and was probably the problem all along & that I probably shouldn't have started fooling around with it to begin with!!

Can't help myself

Obviously I need a glass mask though, if Odyssey do them.... I read www.khbphotografix.com states that 4"x5" Negative Carrier Glass & 4"x5" Anti-Newton Glass is available. That's a big area to place a little 35mm neg accurately, and without film guide pins, but that's OK, it's a big enough baseboard to move the easel around.

Has anyone got/used these glass masks? I guess they clip right in the master carrier there like any other mask.......
    Last edited by gamincurieux; 09-26-2010 at 04:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the 4x5 glass (1 x plain, 1 x anti-N) in my DeVere 504. As you guessed, they just clip into the holder like the metal masks do - they have similar beveled edges. It is no problem putting a 35mm or MF frame in the middle of it. The only downside is that you won't get that nice ragged edge effect that a filed-out carrier will give you, if you like that sort of thing.

It is certainly feasible to get your DeVere all square with a spirit level. I splashed out on the Versalab Parallel a while back though, and it is really terrific. More accurate and very fast. If you want one, now is probably the time while the A$ and the US$ are almost equal. Better still, find someone in Melbourne with one - you won't need to use it often.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Ian, is yours a condenser head?
    I was wondering if you got any hint of the AN-glass mottled pattern showing on your prints. I'd guess that there's more chance of that showing with a condenser head.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nope I use an Ilford 500 head

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, to be safe what I might do is what I've done until now with my Durst, that is to use glass on the bottom & 35mm mask on top. I'll get an extra De Vere 35mm mask and file it out, take the AN-glass out of the equation, yet keeping the neg flat with the bottom glass.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin