Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,549   Posts: 1,646,261   Online: 976

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have a look on ebay for a spare 35mm mask, but another option might be to find a small metal fabrication bunch and get them to make you a single mask with a slightly larger hole. If you are using it with a piece of glass you won't need the registration pins/holes and it should be very easy and cheap to make.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Enlarger alignment is a chore best done once and done right. But getting that black border on your enlargements is simple. Don't file the negative carrier there is an easier way!

I expose the photographic paper in the masking easel as usual but before taking it out I cover it with a cardboard rectangle a few millimetres smaller than the picture area. First the rectangle is slid into the upper left corner formed by the easel blades. Then the room lights are blinked on/off for a couple of seconds. Next the cardboard rectangle is slid into the lower right corner and the room light blink is done again. Then the exposed paper goes off to the developer etc. Result? A photograph with a black border that is thick or thin, rough or smooth, depending on how you made the masking cardboard rectangle.

Another advantage of this method over the filed-out negative carrier is that it still delivers when you need to crop a negative!
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is a good method, Maris, especially when you want to crop a negative, as you say.
    With a full frame, however, the downside is that, to my eyes, the natural transition from the image to the black film rebate is almost always more pleasing than the transition you can get with a created black border using a cardboard mask.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Maris. I'm aware of the method, and I do use it when on the rare occasion & for whatever reason (flare or even fogging outside the frame) I can't get the natural black edge black enough.

But, I never crop, I always print full-frame & shoot with that in mind, with the natural black edge showing that, and an unfiled/unadulterated 35mm mask always encroaches a little into the frame in any case, even if only 1/2 a mm or however much...... so, I guess I'm gonna be filing til my arm hurts

Shooter
    35mm
    Actually Maris, a book I picked up at a market for $2 some time ago gives a very good explanation on how to do black borders your way:

"Darkroom Basics... and Beyond"
    By Roger Hicks and Frances Schultz
    Published by Collins & Brown, 2000

Shooter
    35mm
    But seriously, if there's anyone near Melbourne who 'd like to loan me a Versalab...............

Shooter
    35mm
    I have aligned it!!

All by sight & a little help from a cheap spirit level.

Only problem that remains is with frames on the tail ends of a film strip. As I ended up filing out the 35mm mask the tail ends curl more than they did before. As opposed to a frame from the middle of a strip, it's as flat as a tack, very pleasing to the eye. So, obviously only glass masks will fix that end curl... either one glass with the 35mm mask, or both glass top & bottom (which I'd hope to avoid, this being a condenser head). I've ordered both plain & AN glass masks (plus a screw-in red filter, which this enlarger never had) from KHB Photographix, so once they arrive this enlarger should be good to go, I even doubt a Versalab Parallel would get it any better than I've got it now, though I'm still curious to try one

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    You can overcome the curl at the end of a strip of negs, without resorting to a glass carrier, by applying strips of adhesive tape to the remaining rebate, in effect extending the film and allowing the tape to be trapped by the carrier.
    Obviously, it's fiddly and has to be done very carefully, both on top and beneath the film, so as not to leave any adhesive exposed. And, I hope it goes without saying, don't stick tape over any part of the image!

Shooter
    35mm
    Jerry from Brighton......... (the Home of the De Vere!)....... thank you!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Works really well.

I have to admit, I probably filed out this carrier just a little more than necessary. KHB do custom masks too, not at all cheap, but good to know they can be had.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin