Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,981   Online: 792

Shooter
    Multi Format

What is Selective Masking and what it can do

What is Selective Masking?
    What is Selective Masking – and what it can do for you!

Over the years I’ve (Alan Ross) evolved a technique I have come to refer to as Selective Masking. I use the term “selective” because it is a physical, hands-on method of tonal control in analog printing, rather that the photometric “unsharp masking”. In its basic form, it’s not techno-anything; it simply is a means of solidifying your own dodging and burning preferences into a “package” which remains absolutely constant from print to print. You can change your mind about how you want that package to perform; you can dodge and burn in greater detail than with traditional methods and with absolute consistency from print to print. It works with either a diffusion enlarger or in contact printing. It does NOT work with condenser enlargers.

Carried to the ’nth degree, Selective Masking can transform the job of printing a challenging negative from one of agonizing difficulty to the mere push of a button: a “straight” print from the untouched, unmodified original negative. Any size print. Local contrast changes can be made, and that oh-so-smooth gradual sky burn can be built into the mask package. It’s a technique I’d been sharing with friends and students for several years, and in 1999 I put the techniques on paper in the form of several articles published in ViewCamera Magazine. This 2010 series includes some updates to the original text and illustrations in Part I; Parts II and III have been completely rewritten.

For the CD and other materials see my Darkroom and Education Products page.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So are you going to tell us what selective masking is or is this just advertising?

Let me guess - do it all in Photoshop and then print a digital neg for masking. If so, hardly analog.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Wasn't this post deleted once already for SPAM?
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Seems like blatant self promotion.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good, it's not "techno-anything" because I can't understand anything techno! Except of course techno music, which I love with a passion..... PSCYH!

(flagged for your moderator's pleasure)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin