Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,609   Online: 1035

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Wouldn't mind getting myself a copy of your book actually

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I can't off the top of my head visualise the DeVere condenser head, so I can't think where you could slip diffusing material into the light path. It may be difficult to fit a sheet of acrylic (or similar) plastic in there. But anyway, as other posters have said, acrylic may diminish output too greatly.

I'd use a piece of diffusion gel - you can find it in the Rosco catalogue if you can't source it locally - it's calibrated in 'stops' according to diffusion density. I'd get a sheet of '1/4 stop' then double it up until I found a happy medium between diffusion and light loss. A 50cm square shouldn't cost more than £5(UK) and I guess you could tape it to the flat side of the bottom diffuser.

If you can't source it locally from a photo store either try a disco lighting hire shop or a video supplies wholesaler - there should be one in Melbourne to supply the TV industry there.

You could also try graphic arts 'trace' - just make sure it doesn't have any visible grain.

Regards
    Jerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gamincurieux View Post
    Wouldn't mind getting myself a copy of your book actually
    Just got mine yesterday. There is a frighteningly large amount of information. Highly recommended.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jerry got it right. I use Lee lighting gels because that's what the local rental house carries. Both Lee and Rosco diffusion gels are grainless and aberration free. What's more, unlike acrylic, they're designed to take the heat generated by a light source. Full stop white diffusion (Lee 216) is probably overkill. I use half-stop (Lee 250) and find that it gives me the same quality of light under my Durst condensers as the dichroic mixing box on my color enlargers. It's available in 18" x 24" sheets at any lighting supply or Calumet. For my Durst 138 I have a sheet cut to the same size as the glass in the carrier. Lay it right on top. Why someone would want to mess with uneven "cold light" heads is beyond me.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Pardon me, I should have said 'tape it to the flat side of the bottom condenser'.
    Sorry to have caused any confusion.

Jerry

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gamincurieux View Post
    ... You know, could be that the nice white photocrescenta lamp is diffuse enough anyway without having to go to all this bother. ...
    Very true. No enlarger is 100% specular or 100% diffuse. A condenser is typically right in between the two.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    ... Why someone would want to mess with uneven "cold light" heads is beyond me.
    I often wondered that myself.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi, Paul,
    Try Rosco diffusion filter(s). I use them for that purpose, and they they work very well. They are tough, heat resistant, and durable. Thing is, you need to choose the one that's right for you, as they make a great many. Some diffuse more evenly than others. I believe the one I use is half white diffusion. Rosco used to send out a sample pack of gel swatches on request, you could try them out under lamps first to judge their diffusion properties. When you decide on the one(s) you need, you can buy different size sheets, and they are very economical for this application. Good Luck, Mike.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Look at the dichro head. Do you see that it uses something called a mixing box?
    Actually the mixing box is for mixing the colors, which usually always come in from one side. It also provides diffuse light, but you don't need a mixing box to get diffuse light falling on the negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Rosco diffusion filters sound like a good idea. Anyone with a condenser enlarger and a glass negative carrier should try that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin